_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lithuanian and Polish Fokkers
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 02:58 PM UTC
Here are a couple of Dragon D.VIIs modified as post-war birds. The Lithuanian D.VII is pretty simple, a natural-fabric plane with polished metal bits. The Polish Fokker required some artistic license. Post-war Polish aircraft were a medium green edging toward an olive. However, photographs of this particular bird shows streaking in two distinct colors on top and bottom added over the regular finish. Also, the bottom streaks were grouped in color, whilst the top streaks alternated in shade. The streaks also tended to wander in shape and angle.
I consulted my vast circle of advisors and made the executive decision to paint the streaks with roughly the same shades used by the Fokker E.V. wings, even though those were stains instead of paints.
Modifications to the models were minor, mostly consisting of cowl tweaks. The Polish Fokker decals came from Techmod (sticky and stiff and fragile) and the Lithuanian decals from the Insignia book (didn't expect much, but they turned out to be great decals).
The Polish Fokker also has part of the landing gear spreader wing cut away, revealing the bungee wrapping.
The intense turquoise color is a complete judgment call. However, it's a tonal match for the black and white photographs.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 06:13 PM UTC
A couple of my favorites.
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 07:59 PM UTC
Here are a couple of pictures of the real Polish Fokker, showing off the streaking effects, and I suspect these pictures were taken just for that reason:

Also notice that the colors of the Polish national insignia reverse on the top and bottom.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:32 PM UTC
Burl,
Great pair of Fooker D.VII's.Love that Polish Fokker's paint,it must have crossed your eyes while painting.Wow.

Regards,
Gregory Jouette
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 - 09:35 PM UTC
Awfully nice models. I personaly want to build examples of Polish, Russian, Lithuanian, Finnish and, of course, Turkish ones. God knows when...:] It is a realy good example and info about the upper and lower wing paintings. I was wondering what it looked like. Thanks.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 01:41 AM UTC
Very nice builds Burl !

The green streaking , was that done by airbrush ?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 06:25 AM UTC
Great looking models; the pigs are a nice touch as well. In the photo of the real one on its nose; one can see that in real life as in modeldom, someone forgot to sand the fuselage seam.

BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 - 08:57 AM UTC
Streaking was done by hand with a fine brush and MisterKit paints, which worked great. One concern was that airbrush would look too "regular." The streaks on the original plane vary in width and angle. I think the painter just worked his way down the wing using a brush and thinned paint, so I did the same thing. Also note that the streaks are thinner and more even on the under surfaces.
 _GOTOTOP