_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Tropical 109!.......comments?
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
heres the oob Tamiya 109 e-4/7 trop.well,almost oob,I had to replace the gear well doors with heavily reworked monogram ones.
EDIT:Color corrected? with PhotoShop. KF

please post comments and CC.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Is the orange paint right? Were they really that shade? I'm not saying they weren't, as I'm no Afrikacorps expert, I just haven't seen them quite that orange before.

Also, looks like your gun exhaust stains my need a little extra feathering towards the back of the wing.

Looks like a nice build overall.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:25 AM UTC
I had 1 or two pictures depicting this plane or a plane in the same camo,and this is the closest color I could find,also the light makes it look more orange than it really is.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
Hi Dave

Nice looking '109, with some really tight mottling - that's the scary bit for me... did you do it all freehand or try some these new masks?

In the light of Jim's post about the purpose of the RRB and all in the spirit of our "new improved constructive criticism"... just 3 things...

Shouldn't there be a nasty non-PC Swastika on the fin? I know it sometimes got painted over in real life... but, more likely here, the kit manufacturer chickened out of providing one...

Maybe a flat coat would even out the top-sides - the mottling and decals look a bit shiny... (mask the canopy though!!). I have read that Geman national markings were shinier than the surrounding paintwork, but that would call for some clever masking to get right! :-) (I've never tried...!!)

The cordite stains from the cannons may be a bit heavy... I never can tell how much is enough, so I always follow the example of a far better modeller than I'll ever be, who said to always err on the safe side...

Hopefully folks will read the above in positve way it was intended...(I'm slightly walking on hot coals here, while I judge the new tone of the forum)

All the best

Rowan
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Shouldn't there be a nasty non-PC Swastika on the fin?

actually I didn't put the swasicas as my Dad really doesn't like them.(who would other than those neo-nazi freaks)he grew up in poland and near his house was an old concentration camp.so I see why.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
Yes, I agree the orange is just a photo "colour balance" issue... did you allow for the type of lighting you were shooting under?

Although our eyes compensate for the colour of lighting, cameras can't (unless we give them a pointer). Basic rules are:

Dayllight looks quite blue, Tungsten (normal lamp bulbs) looks yellow and Flourescent looks green.

Digital cameras alow you to set the white balance, while film stock is coded to compensate for lighting.

Of course you can always use Photoshop or similar...

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC
I fully understand about the Swastika. Personally. I think it's important to include Nazi markings, so no-one can try to disassociate the hardware from the horrors that the Nazis perpetrated, but I would never argue with someone who had personal experience of their tyranny...

All the best

Rowan
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Good work !
Well, i don't have much more than the others to say... escept that the antenna wire should need a bit more tightening.
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:14 AM UTC
Awww yeah, much better with the color tweaked a bit. That's the look I'm used to seeing. Looked a bit like an oddly shaped flying pumpkin before.

I agree with Rowan re: flat coating it. A light wash might also help pull the glossiness together a little bit. I suspect the apparent glossiness of the mottling might be from getting too thick a coat of paint on at once. Used to happen to me all the time when I was building in high school. Now I thin the (acrylic) paint way back with alcohol and apply a very thin coat, gradually building up. Don't often get "the shinies" now. Similar technique would be great for feathering in those gun stains; could even shoot the tan again (in very dilute form) to lighten them a bit.

Quoted Text

actually I didn't put the swasicas as my Dad really doesn't like them.(who would other than those neo-nazi freaks)he grew up in poland and near his house was an old concentration camp.so I see why.

Yep, got to respect dad's wishes, especially when he 1) has a good reason; and 2) is paying the rent (I presume).

Again, congratulations on a fine model. A little bit more work, and it'll be fantastic.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:30 AM UTC
wow that run through photoshop really turned out well thats exactly the right color!
Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

wow that run through photoshop really turned out well thats exactly the right color!

You're welcome.
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC
Lord(ette?) Dave,
Nice work, I agree that the photoshop tweak has done the trick. Although the "leopard" look was kinda cool.
Perhaps an idea for the future would be to cut and lower the slats / flaps etc.
You should try to get the mottle masks, they really are very good. Invest in an airbrush or try to wangle out of mum and dad for Christmas... lol
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Invest in an airbrush or try to wangle out of mum and dad for Christmas... lol

If you're doing this with a rattle can, airwarrior, you're playing with one hand tied behind your back. I think this is about the optimal result with a free-hand rattle can.

No joke about getting an airbrush if you don't have one. You rmodels will instantly improve.

Getting one from the folks at Christmas was how I got my first one more than a decade ago.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

flaps etc.
You should try to get the mottle masks, they really are very good. Invest in an airbrush or try to wangle out of mum and dad for Christmas... lol

I do have an air-brush,and I didn't use any masks.and also the flaps are lowered.
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 01:44 PM UTC
No need to get defensive. My mistake, I can now see that the flaps are lowered. You need to get some practise with your AB. Try working out different styles on scrap cardboard or whatever. You will then get a "feel" for the AB and your work will improve.
What AB do you have????
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 03:24 PM UTC
sorry If I sounded harsh,actually.the reference pics I have didn't show the mottling to be hazy as on other 109's.and it's a little badger 350,piece of crap yes but it works :-)
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Hi Dave

Well I reckon the mottling is pretty good... you're right, my pics references show very distinct spots without the usual misting and blending...

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 08:23 AM UTC
:-) airworrior,
You are to be commended, achieving the mottle with a badger 350 is clever stuff. There will be no holding you if you get a "real" airbrush :-)
Just for clarification, the colours on this 109 would be: RLM 78 undersides (light blue) RLM 79 (desert sand) and RLM 80 (green)
What colour are the wheel wells?
What have you used for the antenna wire?
For desert and Pacific theatre aircraft I overspray with a very (VERY) diluted coat of medium sea grey. This is done in a patchy way but blended in, on upper fuselage and uppersurfaces only. After decals and sealing coat but before a wash. It does add something to aircraft from those theatres :-)
Mal
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
actually the reference pics I have showed the mottling to be black,but that was pure sunlight disrupting the colors,it should be a green like Mal said.
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Your antenna line is saggy. This line should be very taut.

You can get this fixed by doing the following:

Light a match. Blow out the flame, and then CAREFULLY while the head of the match is still warm, run it under the aerial back and forth. Get closer to the aerial as needed until you start to see a SLIGHT tightening of the line. Repeat as needed. Once you do this, the heat from the matches will pull the line tight.

Try it. Good luck.

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:43 AM UTC
Scott is right about how to tighten the antenna wire, assuming it is streatched sprue or invisable mending thread, ie plastic of some sort. I actually heat a pin, held in lockable tweezers, with a lighter rather than using a match. Another tip on antenna wires, particularly German, add small blobs of white glue, near each end, to simulate insulators. When dry paint off white.
The wheel wells look a bit green, a bit like RAF interior green, is this a trick of the light. Are they actually RLM 02, the same as the gear struts and cockpit interior?
Still a very nice 109, we will have to get together a desert squadron :-)
Mal
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 03:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

we will have to get together a desert squadron

Another campaign/group build idea?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
:-) Not another campaign until next year for me.
I already have 2 desert 109s, an E and an F, both Marsaille's. I also have 2 desert Stukas on the go. One nearing completion, so a desert squadron is close :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP