_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Nimrod AEW3 - Airfix + Cammet conversion
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 02:27 AM UTC
The first day at Comprehensive (High School for Americans) is normally a pretty big deal. Its the place where you go from childhood to adulthood, and starting there can be overwhelming. Everything is strange and unfamilier, and worse you are surrounded by frightening looking "big boys" :wacko:

My first day was memorable for a different reason. Whilst I was being shown round the school that morning, I took nothing in that the teacher was telling us bright eyed newbies because circling above my school just under the low grey cloudbase for over an hour that September morning was a distinctive looking plane that this 11 year old airplane geek instantly recognised.

It was in a holding pattern waiting for the right time to make a farewell flypast down the runway at RAF Waddington.

It was the day the Nimrod AEW.3 was cancelled.

When Airfix announced they were doing a 1/72 Nimrod I instantly knew that I wanted one to build as the ill-fated AEW.3, I just needed someone to release a conversion . Thankfully Cammet stepped up to the plate with their excellent resin set. Then I needed the funds to secure kit & conversion. I was able to procure the Airfix kit at a good price from a friend (thanks Trev!) and ScaleModelWorld 2009 provided the opportunity to stock up on the bits I needed.

The only real downer on the Airfix kit are its near unusable decals. Grainy, plasticy and just ugghhh I purchased the Xtradecal set to provide lo-vis roundels and white serials, the Model Alliance decals are a complete stencil set for the modern grey camoflage scheme worn by Nimrods today (thats a clue ). Due to the weight of the resin, Geoff Baker (Thorvic) who has previously built this conversion recommended the Heritage white metal nose gear and resin wheel well.

And finally the gorgeous Cammet conversion featuring a whole new tail including rudder and tailplanes as well as the radomes

Really, really looking forward to starting this one, been waiting for a gap in the build schedule since I bought it!
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 05:21 PM UTC

Neil:

That's going to be a great project, I've always had an interest in the Nimrod. Can't wait to see more.

Bob
This post was removed.
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:31 AM UTC
A start!

This is the cockpit floor. The area marked needs to be removed to fit in the part for the nose

This is the aforementioned nose part, before it has been cleaned up.

This is the nose part cleaned up, with cockpit floor slid into the slots that Cammet kindly provide

So far so good! Lastly a pic of the fuselage halves, with the areas marked for removal. The holes marked "B" need to be blanked off for the AEW version.

All questions, comments, advice etc welcomed. This model will have to be shelved for a while as my Raptor needs to be built inside 3 months, so will get my full attention for the duration.
 _GOTOTOP