_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
AoA Campaign: Part 1 of 3, Sopwith Camel
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:38 AM UTC
Here is Academy's 1:72 Sopwith Camel. The kit kind of just fell together, it's a great little build. The decals were kind of thick and didn't flatten out over a few of the molding details, but oh well.

*EDIT*
Some people got Rex's so here is a direct link to my MSN folder: MSN Folder
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC
looks great,hemost I can say is that it is too clean these gys are taking off from pure mud theres gonna be plenty of mud on the thing :-)also the canvas on the bottom wing would be a little lighter methinks :-) otherwise a very clean build congratulate yourself!
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
Yeah the brown is too dark, it dried darker than I expected. As for mud, Snoopy would never have a dirty plane.

The blue paint on the rudder doesn't match the decals either.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
I thought snoopy plane was yellow!
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
How could you do it ? You've been so fast !
It looks good ! Are you considering adding struts ?
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 05:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How could you do it ? You've been so fast !
It looks good ! Are you considering adding struts ?

I was fast cause it's only got 19 parts. It's finished now, so what you see is all it gets.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
Crikey, that IS fast! I haven't even started the campaign yet!

I wonder if PenPen meant " are you going to add rigging wires?"

All the best

Rowan
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 07:29 PM UTC
I assumed that's what Penpen meant. I won't be rigging this or the Fokker as I've never done it before. I will be rigging the Nieuport, but I just can't see rigging for the first time on something this small. Here is a size reference pic if anybody is unfamiliar with how small this thing is.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Tim

Yep! That's pretty small... :-)

One thing I'd suggest is to paint the part between the base of the struts to match the wings... it's only moulded as part of the struts to make assembling the kit easier,and was really part of the wing...

You could try lightly streaking the propeller blades with darker brown (center to tips) to suggest the laminated wood of the original.

Nice job :-)

All the best

Rowan
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I'd suggest is to paint the part between the base of the struts to match the wings... it's only moulded as part of the struts to make assembling the kit easier,and was really part of the wing...

D'oh!! All through the build I was telling myself not to forget to do just that. Thanks.
Tanks46
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 11:49 AM UTC
Hi Tim. Nicely done kit. Building swiftly and getting a nice representation of the machine is an advantage to 1/72nd kits. It is one of the reasons I Braille scale. Again nice job Tim.

Quoted Text

Find the enemy and shoot him down; anything else is nonsence. Richtofen

Butch Cassidy Tanks46
Pig#3 Head Armorer
DSB (++)
KiwiDave
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 248 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 05:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

looks great,hemost I can say is that it is too clean these gys are taking off from pure mud theres gonna be plenty of mud on the thing :-)also the canvas on the bottom wing would be a little lighter methinks :-) !

Geez, we have tanks that look like cow pats with barrells sticking out and now we have to cover aircraft in mud as well.

The accumulation of dirt on an aircraft seriously affects the peformance. It is the job of the groundcrew to keep the kites clean. Such dirt as would adhere to the aircraft would be limited to mud on the underside of the lower wing aft of the wheels and a spattering under the tailplane.

As an aircraft engineer I have spent much time keeping aircraft airworthy and get a bit pissed off at the ludicrous comments that are made based on some pics of Pacific theatre aircraft.

Having got that off my chest please paint the interplane struts in the upper surface green, which looks pretty close to the right colour for 1/72 scale. Run a touch of brown around the cockpit edge, this is a leather covered 'cushion', and, if you want to weather at all, liberally smear the fuselage bottom from the engine cowl cut out to around the area below the roundel with a brownish stain. The Clerget and the Le Rhone had total loss oil systems using castor oil. This is stickier than mineral lube and tends to set when left on a surface making it very hard to remove.

Your a brave man to tackle WW1 in 1/72!

Regards Dave

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:45 AM UTC
I wouldn't attempt this in 1/72, well done Tim. Can only agree with a few comments. The lip around the cockpit is leather and should be painted as such. Do paint the interconnecting piece between the struts the same green as the wing. The under wing colour is, I believe, natural doped linen and should be very much lighter.
As far as mud goes, in this scale I would simply dry brush the tyres with an earth colour. While talking about tyres, I think at this time they were a much lighter grey, than todays tyres.
Must say well done for completing the campaign so quickly :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP