Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Bf109G question > for Experten
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
I'm planning to build a 48th scale Hasegawa Bf109G-2 with Croatian markings of the 15.(kroatische)/JG52.
Since I couldnt find any Eduard express maskings for a G-2 my question is the following:
1) is it the same if I use G-6 maskings? Is there any difference in the canopy between a G-2 and a G-6? For now I am using this strategy for masking ... in a near future I may try to use Parafilm M.

Danke (++) B H (++)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:23 PM UTC
Hi BH

As far as I can see, the actual canopy on the G-2 and G-6 was the same - both were un-pressurised and featured the small vents below the windscreen. There should be no problem with paint masks.

The G-6 seems to have a much shorter aerial mast on the rear canopy section and an RF loop behind it. The pilot' s head armour seems to have been changed as well to include a clear panel in the later version.

Hope this helps

Rowan
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 - 06:24 PM UTC
I did a hasegawa G-14 a couple monthes ago. Does yours come with gun pods like mine did?

Anyway, I would assume they would work. I mean G models are pretty much the same aren't they? I didnt mask at all. I just hand painted them with a small brush, and went back with a toothpick dipped in thinner, and wiped the paint off the windows. Then went back with "Model Wax" and polished it. It looked pretty good.

The guys at the hobby shop couldn't believe that I hand painted it.

~Chip
BoarHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 05:05 AM UTC
Yes, I have a G14 and it came with the Mk108 Gunpods.

Are all the Erla canopies the same? If you try to use K-4 maskings for a G-10, would it work?

(++) B H
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:41 AM UTC
if your masks are for a G-6 early or mid, the canopy will be the same as a G-2, but if your using a erla haub(hope I spelled that right) canopy or weak canopy, the it is totally different than a G-2 which had the strong canopy. the erla canopys had armored glass behind the pilots head instead of the G-2 which just had a piece of steel, same as an early G-6. the earla canopy came into service on the G-6 late and was used on up thru all the following production variants.
P.S. try out the parafilm, you will like it.
hope this helps

Bender
 _GOTOTOP