_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
When given lemons...make lemon-aide...
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 06:40 PM UTC
I have several kits in my stash that for one reason or another are stalled. A lot of them are due to the landing gear either being broken or in some other form less than exceptable. I decided on an easy way to get these things completed and off my bench. I took the landing gear completely off, and glued the gear doors in place as though in flight. Where the doors didn't fit all that well, I filled the wheel wells with Aves Epoxy Putty then set the doors in place and pushed a bit. The putty oozed up and filled the gaps. A little smoothing and it looked pretty damn good. Once all the gear doors have dried, the builds will continue as normal. Soon I should have roughly a half dozen or so planes cruising the skies of my basement/man-room ceiling in battle once complete. While they may not win any contests I will feel a lot better that they are complete and not taking up space on the bench and the shelves. Just a little food for thought should you all have planes in similar states. I'll post some pics soon of my Air Farce. Thanks, "Q"
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:48 PM UTC
Here's my rag-tag Air Farce made up of planes with broken landing gear or something else that isn't quite right. So far the big 1/32 Bipe is looking great and wil probably be hung closest to the entry way to my room. The other two, Me-262 and a Mirage, will be mixing it up over by my Ju-88 I already have hanging. Slowly but surely the skies will fill! lol. Thanks for looking. "Q" I can also use the big Bipe for my Get the Job Done Again campaign as it was one of the ones on my list.... Just thought of that

Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Wow, your Grumman, at least I think it's an F3F looks great! Russell
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thanks Russell. Actually it is a Curtiss BF2C-1 off of the carrier USS Ranger 1934. I wish the landing gear didn't get trashed as this was a pretty nice kit up to that point. I have an F4B-4 and a P-26 in the same scale that I am looking forward to getting built at some point. Got a few ahead of them though. Thanks for the kudos. Much appreciated. "Q"
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 06:18 PM UTC
It reminds me of my youth. I did not have any spare shelf space in my bedroom as a teenager. I had entire flights of 1:72 Revell and Airfix WWI aircraft. 10 Fokker Dr.I types lead by this all-red job match up against 6 Sop. Camel and 5 Spad XIII types. 12 Albatros D.V/Va types engaging 6 Bristol F. 2b and 4 RE 8. A flight of 5 Sopwith triplanes following up unseen on the Albies six. 8 Fokker D.VII going head to head against a Flight of 6 SE 5a types. There were single engagements as well. Eventually I would sell them to a group of Wargamers in Denver CO. (But only after the numbers had grown to over 200 built 1:72 WWI kits.)
jphillips
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
AeroScale: 214 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 10, 2009 - 08:43 PM UTC
I hang all my planes up anyway. I have no shelf space left - my shelves are full of tanks!
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 - 05:20 PM UTC
I have some space left in the display cases, but these are ones that I don't want to spend the considerable amount of time needed to fix their problems. Rather than throw them out or add them to the parts bin, they are getting a new lease on life and I'm freeing up space from the shelves. So far my fledgling air force is growing. I added a wingman today for my BF2C in the form of a 1/72 scale A-10. The ME-262 and Mirage aren't far behind. Sorry for the blurry pic...was kinda hard to keep from wavering while standing on a chair.. lol. Thanks, "Q"
 _GOTOTOP