_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Italian F-104 ordinance
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 361 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
I just got Haswegawa's 1/72 F-104G Starfighter, with German and Italian markings. I'd like to do the Italian version. However, the kit comes with no ordinance for the plane beyond the drop tanks. I'm interested in suggestions on how to load it up with at least one pair of bombs/missles. I know the 104 didn't haul a big load, but it's got to carry something!

At any rate, I'm looking for suggestions on good Italian ordinance, including air-to-ground unguided munitions like rockets and iron bombs. Got any ideas for sources for the little buggers? Thanks.
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:27 AM UTC
I do not understand anything about planes, but being Italian, I'll try to help you as nuch as I can. I went on the Air Force site and I saw what ordnance is carying the F-104 and I found the following:

2-4 AIM-9L Sidewinder (IR guided)
2 aria-aria to air missiles Aspide 1A (semi active radar guided).

for what concerns the appearance of the plane this is what I found:

To go directly to their site pse click HERE

To see more of the Aspide missile follow these links:

Army Technology

Global security

Hope this can help...
Ciao
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thanks, soccia. I was aware of the 9 limas and the aspides. I think my backup plan may be to use some of the sparrows from a hasegawa weapons set as aspides. (BTW, what's "aspide" Italian for?)

What I'd really like is to set it up for a strike mission. If I can't get that arranged, though, it'll be the aspides.

Cool photos, too.
scoccia
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2003 - 07:57 AM UTC
Aspide is a desert viper (snake) the one who killed the Egyptian queen Cleopatra...
Ciao
Part-timer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Thanks Jeffry, exactly what I was looking for. I am aware of the 'zipper's' range and payload limitations. Interesting how increased aircraft speed made point-defense-interceptors obsolete almost overnight.

It sounds as though the Italians use both brit and american series dumb bombs. I'd like to equip the plane for a medium strike mission, so maybe a pair of 500 pounders and 2 'winders on the fuselage points, as you suggest. Thanks for the help.
 _GOTOTOP