_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
NMF to Shade or not to Shade?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
Ok so I've got a base coat of Alcald Aluminium on the P-47 Thunderbolt that I'm currently building over on P-47 Heaven.

I was thinking of spraying some of the other panels with different shades of Alclad but after looking through my research it looks to me that there not that much difference or not any at all.

So my question is to shade or not to shade?

What do you guys and gals think on this subject?
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 08:03 AM UTC
depends. look at the state of this.

I'll be tearing me hair out with that one.
But them P-47 got polished so yeah maybe nothing needed or very light. Then again a
bit of variation brings attention to detail, whether the efect is accurate or not, like panel line washes.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:45 AM UTC
I realise that this can be subjective. A bit like wings of the P-51 should be painted silver but other like to leave it metal.

This is the P-47 I'm doing

I normally shade various panels, but I feel this may look a bit odd in 1/32. I may just go for shading some of the small access hatches and the gun bay covers as they would see a lot more use than other areas.
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 10:56 AM UTC
Allen:

Instead of using a differnt color on the panels. Sometimes al you need to do is shoot some thinned down Smoke or similar type color along various panel lines along the finshed paint for some shading. ( kind of like a reverse preshading). Not much is needed to vary it.

HTH

Paul
 _GOTOTOP