_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Model Kit Details
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hi Guys, What I am wanting to know Is which Plastic Model kits have the best detailing, out of AIRFIX, REVELL, TAMIYA, ITALERI, EDUARD or any other kit makers. I have just finished a REVELL APACHE GUNSHIP (Scale 1:48 skill 5), which had some really small bits & Is very detailed, but have never heard of Italeri, Eduard & If there are any others that are better. The more detailed, the better In my eyes....

Regards.
Sean....
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 09:25 AM UTC
Sean, personally, I don't think that's an easy answer because the level of detail between one manufacturer to the next can vary and can even vary from kit to kit from the same manufacturer. If you took a P-51 from each of the manufacturers one would probably stand out. If you did the same comparison with a P-47 you might find that a different manufacturer has a more detailed kit. Older kits, in my opinion, tend to have less detail where newer ones generally have more but that's not always true. Adding detail and fixing kit problems is why you see so many third-party detail sets.

If you're looking for a new kit you can always look through the reviews section to find some info or even ask away in the forums. Chances are somebody will know the best/most detailed kit to buy.

And welcome to Aeroscale.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 - 11:18 PM UTC
I kind of copy the comments of Tin_Can

adding that in many cases the molds needed to manufacture the kits are used by several manufacturers. This way, you can find the same model under different brands. This makes it even more difficult to poitn to a single manufacturer as being "the best".

However, in general, I would say that in scale 1/48 Hasegawa and Tamiya give excellent value. It is very true that for many specific offerings of these two there are better kits on the market but overall these two are my favorites.

In any case, If family intends to buy me a kit as X-mas present then these are the brandnames i am going to mention.
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 03:37 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I had never heard of Hasegawa until now, so thanks. I have a few kits & they are Revell. So Its nice to know that there are a few kit manufacturers to have a go at. Lastly for Airbrushing what would be the already mixed paints to go for..

Regards.
Sean.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks guys, I had never heard of Hasegawa until now, so thanks. I have a few kits & they are Revell. So Its nice to know that there are a few kit manufacturers to have a go at. Lastly for Airbrushing what would be the already mixed paints to go for..

Regards.
Sean.

I am not aware of any paints for modelling purposes that come ready mixed for airbrushing.

basically you have the choice between enamels (not so healthy) and acryl (on basis of water so a bit healthier). Both types need thinning.

There are quite a few art-airbrush paints on the market but these usually do not give us the colors we need (many modellers are very selective about colors) and do not stick on plastic anyway.

Oh, before airbrushing, wash the plastic with a very mild kitchen detergent to get the oil of and use a light grey primer to find errors (scratches, poor seams) that need fixing before painting
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 05:19 AM UTC
hi,

if you want ready mixed paints try vallejo acrylics,but they will need a primer first such as tamiya spray can primer.

paul
FLAKATTAK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 - 05:01 AM UTC
thanks guys, Ive just bought some Tamiya primer which comes has light grey in a spray can, I didnt realise there was so much to get before airbrushing, Im getting there now & Its all building up nicely..

Regards.
Sean.
 _GOTOTOP