_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
New/Old Kit Product ID - Can you tell?
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 05:03 AM UTC
Is there a way to tell, by looking at a kits product ID, whether the kit is actually new or a re-issue of an older kit?

For example, and this is just random, if I look on Revell's website in the December 2009 Releases they list a 1/48 MIG-21PF with Product ID: 85-5482. Based on some discussion on another forum (as a result of a google search I did) it looks like this is a very old kit that's simply being re-issued and touted as a 'December Release' under a bigger heading of 'New Revell Products' on the Revell website.

I'm almost embarrassed to say it but this has always confused me when looking for new kits to build. Generally, I believe that the more expensive the kit is the newer and better it is. But when a company touts a product on their website as a 'New Product' you have to wonder. This all began to brew when I saw a kit at a LHS this weekend that was placed with some others on a special shelf with a sign reading "New This Month". The kit in question was a Revell kit and I just knew there was no way it was "New This Month" but probably a re-issue.

So, is there a way to tell, if I was in the LHS, by looking at the product id or is this tribal knowledge which can only be learned by being in the hobby for many years?
armouredcharmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi bud,my rule of thumb is that if it has raised panel lines it`s an old kit !,Although in Revell`s defence they do have the guts to tell you if it`s a re-issue,a shared mould or a new tooling on their website.My pet hate is when you find it`s an old kit but they`ve shaved off the date of the original moulding -

Happy new year to all on Aeroscale
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Bryan

That's an interesting point that I must admit I've never even considered. Being SO old, a lot of the re-releases ring an alarm bell somewhere at the back of my brain - usually along the lines of "Hang on, didn't I see that in Scale Models magazine in 1974?" or similar , but it would be very neat if there was a something in the kit numbering to alert us. Of course, if there is, any manufacturer with any sense would keep it a well guarded secret.

All the best

Rowan
brouwer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 11:40 AM UTC
Many countries will have some sort of trade descriptions legislation which might "protect" consumers from people passing off items as "new" when they are in effect second hand or old ; but who is going to test it in the courts?? (if it were to be the retailer would also be involved....)

For the mum or dad buying the kid a kit the matter probably does not matter very much but it would certainly damage the reputation of any kit manufacture rif the first few kits an up and coming modeller were to buy were not up to some other brands' products.

It is made more a problem by the fact that kits are shrinkwrapped, sold online, or the retailer might refuse to open for an inspection.

It's a matter that has often made me ponder...

On the other hand I can recall mags from the 60's!

John Brouwer
 _GOTOTOP