_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tomcat and Phantom advice
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 09:48 PM UTC
I rarely do aircraft any more. But still dabble in it when I catch a break from 350 scale warships. So I really love naval aviation and now that my skills have improved dramatically since i last modeled aircraft seriously. I want to go back and redo some of my favorites. I want to do a F4B (or look alike) in Viet Nam SUndowner livery. USS COral Sea with the shark mouth

For the Tomcat I want to do the full color Jolly Roger scheme. I think I found a kit by Italerie that hs this scheme. Both planes must be 48th. Not looking at dropping a fortune...you know $60 for each kit then another $15 for a set of dcals. I saw a special edition of the Jolly Rodger Tomcat for $60 at Great Models....Is it worth that much? Is it even available?

Appreciate any advice Figure i can get a F4 n and then sundowner decals if available
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 - 10:07 PM UTC
I would strongly recommend Hasegawa kits for both of these aircraft they build to nice planes with out much need for after market stuff. If you look around Hasegawa did an F-14 with Jolly Rogers, Be-Devilers and the Tomcatters decals in the box. Link to Item

Hasegawa kits cost in the region of £40-£50 here in the UK ($60-$80).

As for the Italeri Tomcat you mention is it This One if it is, it does seem a bit pricey as it's only £18 here which is around $30.

Hope this helps
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:12 AM UTC
Squadron has the F-14 Italeri kit right now for about $30. If that is too much I have heard that the Revell kit build up nice and they are only $17. That could leave you room to get a set of the Zotz decal set ($22) and only spend about $39 total. Course depending on your budget. that would leave room for a PE set and you still may not spend as much as the $60 for just the kit alone.

Of course that would depend on which PE set you get for them. Hope this helps and can't wait to see them

Paul

P.S also try spruebrothers.com and type in Jolly Rogers in the advance search block. You may like what you see.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 12:39 AM UTC
Super... So what I have tracked down is a Italerie and a Hasegawa Tomkat that has the Jolly Rodgers markings. I found the Italerie kit on ebay so i may go with that. Hopefuly t is a wee bit better than the Monogram kit from 25 years ago

Phantom kit i have found the Hasegawa N version. Where can i locte the Sundowner decals or does this kit have them?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 04:03 AM UTC
Steve so far this is all I could find. don't know if the decals come in the kit but here you go.

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.camdecals.com/main.asp?img=48-003

Hope this helps.

Paul
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 07:18 AM UTC
That is the set i am looking for. The company lists it as not available. I sent them an inquiry. If there is another set out there and soemone carries it please let me know

On the F-14 Tomcat kits. Has anyne done the Italeri? I have done the Monogram version and really hate the way they split the cockpit fusealage area I had to putty like a car repairman to come close to smoothing out the gaps.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 20, 2009 - 07:34 AM UTC
If I recall correctly the Italeri offing builds similar to the monogram kit with the cockpit fuselage being integral to the rest of the fuselage and is split along the horizontal where as Hasegawa and Revell kits the fuselage is split the same as the monogram kit but the nose section is separate and split along the vertical.

Hope this makes sense
 _GOTOTOP