_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
A-1 H Completed
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 04:17 AM UTC
Hey guys, this is the completed A-1 H dressed to bomb convoys, buffalos, bunkers, motor pools, basicly just ruin the charlie's day and help the boys down on the ground

See how big an A-1 H is, this is the same scale BF109

TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 04:23 AM UTC
Well done,and quick,too
(++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++) (++)
You can extend the engine exhaust stains farther,and lighter.It is a bit dark to see,if you did.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 04:27 AM UTC
Dave, you have built a Beautiful Sandy!!!!! Onlt thing I can recomend is touch ups around the anti-glare panel and nice carrier deck to set her on!!! STUG
Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
I have seen quite a few birds here recently that would tempt me to try one, and this is another of such. All the panel lines have come up really well and the decals are awesome. The engine smoke direction .... its the bottom one that I am wondering about. Does all the residue go above the wing like shown? As the weathering is quite heavy, one (like me with absolutely no knowledge) would think that some trails would go under the wing also? Just wondering!! Maybe its just the picture, but the pilot looks a tad shiney.
Sorry for bring up little squabbles on such a wonderful model. First class!!
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 04:46 AM UTC
The residue gets dragged along by the airsteam, which flows over the wing to provide lift.There is less pressure there,so the smoke gets sucked up and over.

I think
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 05:12 AM UTC
My Brother.

This one ranks right up there with Da Phantom Menace from a month or so back. This bird represents just superb aircraft modeling on your part.

The panel lines are well defined, and all the decals appear to be perfectly applied and snuggle down just right, ie no bubbles, no wrinkles.

Also, the Map in the cockpit is a nice touch, plus the load on this pig is really impressive.

The napalm canisters make this bird look particularly nasty. Did those come with the kit, or are they scratched?

Also, are those decals or handpainted names on the napalm canisters---either way, a nifty touch on your part. Details like this give us all something to "shoot" for.

The only criticism I have is, ------well, I don't have any (lol).

Dave, be proud here----top notch construction, excellent paint/weathering, 1st rate decal work, and impressive weapons load. Just gorgeous.

Lens jr

Dmd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 07:15 AM UTC
davidus

that's a real nice plane man !!! cool weathering and details !!

greetings from switserland

dmd

i hope to be at home soon
gunnerk19
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
what, no psycho cats with little parachutes tied to the wing ends? #:-)

nice job, Davidus
SOW1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 11:57 AM UTC
Very nice Dave... Another birdie nicely done. (++)
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2003 - 02:09 PM UTC
Nice one Lord Tong. You impress me on a daily basis. I am astounded at the pace with which you create superbly executed model projects...armour...planes...ships.....what is next I wonder?
In order to keep on side with the theme of rivet review...I have this to say to you.....and listen well !!!!!!!!!!!! #:-) #:-)
Errrrm, well, ummm, hmmmmm let me see......no theres nothing I can say except, ummmm, if you...no that's not it, perhaps if you....no that's not it either...........
I give up..NICE ONE DUDE!
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:26 AM UTC
Dave,

Nice build. I would add some heavy oil stains all over the front of the center fuel tank, under the engine compartment. All of the pictures of the Skyraider that I have seen show this - I guess the engine leaked oil everywhere.

I don't have a picture handy, but I will try to post one for you.

Scott
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:09 AM UTC
Looks great Dave, makes me want to build mine even more. I just love this scheme. I've seen your reply to my question on you last post "how did you paint the natural metal lip on the cowling"? When I first studied the instructions this was the only sticking point I could see. It would be impossible to mask the inside of the cowl lip acurately. My planned course of action is to use kitchen foil, from experiments I think it can be done. I wont elaborate here, I'll try it first and explain when I post pictures for the wings over water campaign :-)
I have to agree with Scott about the oil stains on the centre drop tank, I have seen many pictures showing this. Would look pretty cool if done well on a model :-)
My only criticism (see disclaimer elswhere) is (and I'm no expert about this, just from memory of pics seen) that I believe there should be lighter grey running through the centre of the exhaust stains, at least at the beggining of them. This actually looks pretty cool as well, think way back to my F6F. This is actually grey outside and dark brown inside, but is authentic and adds a certain something :-)
Once again, a great looking bird, as usual.
Thanks for sharing.
Mal
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:38 AM UTC
Hey, great build of the Mig Killer Skyraider. Are those the kit decals or aftermarket?

Not a lot really to add except for the previously mentioned gray streaks that were often seen in Skyraider exhaust stains, and possibly the oil stains on the centerline tank.

Are those gun pods on the inner pylons? I haven't ever seen that particular style before.
USMC0321
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:51 AM UTC
Very nice model you got there. I just have one question. Aren't the rocket pods (in between HVARs and bombs) backwards? I always thought that all the holes where I though the rockets came out would face forward. Can someone clear this up for me? Except for my stupid little question your model is very nice.

USMC0321
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
Great job Dave!! I'm glad to see you branching out and painting the pilot and including him. Your constuction looks great, the decals and weathering are nice but in keeping with the current mood in RR I do see a few problems. Your antiglare black around the cockpit isn't perfect and did the rescue decal get wrecked on the left side? It looks wrinkled, but maybe that was a painting error by the ground crew of the original! Overall excellent job, its in keeping with your high standards and definately one of my favorites of all of your models that you have posted.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
Dave, I only have two things to comment on:

1. Looks like in picture two just above the rockets on the port wing there is an indentation in the seam where the upper and lower wings were joined.

2. In picture four the 'rescue' decal is shriveled in the 'scu' part. (Bison beat me to this because he posted his reply while I was researching some pics...lol)

A great build dave. I've wanted to build one of these ever since I saw We Were Soldiers.

This might be of interest. While looking at some reference pics before addressing my comments, I came across this pic and story on a Skyraider website. While this pic isn't of aircraft 409 as you have depicted, it is of 412 of the same squadron. Here's the link and pic:

Skyraider MiG 17 Kills

shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:59 AM UTC
Don't you got any shots of the bottom part? The view from all sides are good now I want to see some from the bottom.
BroAbrams
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
Dave I think you are a better plane builder than tank, keep it up.

Rob
RichSharpe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 112 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 09:11 AM UTC
Excellent job once again Dave... But one more, I'm wondering where all of the armoured tracked models are!!!! What's with these flying things?!
Marty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:01 PM UTC
I am not much of an airplane guy but like some have said looking at your work makes me want to build one. I like everything about your kit. If there were any imperfections I would be the last one to point them out. I think this is first class work!
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 01:32 PM UTC
Well done Dave.....

(++)
andy007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:11 PM UTC
Mr Tong,
The work as usaul is awesome I think you have done your decals extraordinarily well
congrats
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:24 PM UTC
Dave:
I leave for a week and this is what you do?
Looks awsome, you really have that Navy aircraft weathing thing down.
YOu gonna do the USAF Sandy now?
warlock0322
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
AeroScale: 286 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 05:25 PM UTC
Once again Dave you have managed a superb job on a wonderful bird from the past. I noticed too that the map is of Russia . But Cat beat to the puch on that one, but you did forget the red lines the pilot's used to draw on the maps for their Aof A's. #:-)

Once again Dave another fine job. I gues now you are an EX Exclusive German Armor Builder.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP