_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hawker Typhon IB car door interior colour?
stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hi all, before I start (and invariably choose the wrong option) assembling and painting the Hasagawa tiffy I wanted to be sure about the interior colour, satin black or R.A.F. interior green? I have read that all Hawker aircraft recieved black interiors. I also am starting to believe that not everything I read online is true. So I turn to the best source I know, thanks in advance, and remember Im an armor modeler so not to many large words please .

Cheers, Eric.
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 06:07 PM UTC
hi eric as far as i'm aware all R.A.F. aircraft interiors were interior green, the only exceptions i've read about were the night fighters and lancasters, which flew night bombing raids. but don't quote me on this lol. but looking in my copy of hamlyn concise guide to british aircraft world war II page 155 there's a color photo of a car door typhoon and the interior appears to be interior green, if anyone else has proof to the contrary i'd be interested in that too as i builg aircraft aswell as armor. Ant
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 09:11 PM UTC
Eric- a complex question to which there is no generalised correct answer. I have read the converse of what you heard- that Hawker ones were more likely to have green interiors (I think they only produced the first few hundred airframes), and the Gloster aircraft had black interiors (certainly the later ones did, and this was carried on for the Meteor).

Even if you are modelling an early production aircraft, it might have subsequently be painted black. For example, I know that there are photos showing R7752 (PR-G, Beamont's mount) in early 1943 with a black interior, when it originally was interior green, including the tubular framework.

I have also heard that some people think the frames work was sometimes green or silver, with the walls of the cockpit black.

The car-door aircraft had the top camouflage colours continue under the rear part of the canopy, and the wheel wells, u/c legs and u/c door interiors were silver.
stoney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:33 AM UTC
Thanks Ant and Ben, I believe I will go black on this one, although it risks loosing detail. I'll post pics as I get on with it. Thanks again!

_GOTOTOP