_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Alclad question ..
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 04:19 AM UTC
This is the first time that I try using Alclad for my P-47 build. I'm in the process of adding the decals to the aircraft and in the past (using acrylics), I used to add a coat of Johnson's Future (acrylic floor sealer) to enhance the decals and the weathering wash. Is there going to be a problem with using the mentioned product with Alclad?

Hermann
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 10:57 AM UTC
The application of Future or any other clear coat will alter the "luster" of the Alclad
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 05:40 PM UTC
so..... how do I apply the decals on my 1/48 academy p-38 without any shine..or whatever you call it? I have alcad that arrived today and do not want to ruin the final looks
Loobes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 07:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The application of Future or any other clear coat will alter the "luster" of the Alclad

I paint my P-47's with alclad 2, I always use a coat of klear afterwards and I haven't noticed much difference. In fact usually the alclad has more shine to it
stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 09:07 PM UTC
Ongoing debate this one! Some say it alters the finish significantly,others that it makes no difference. I apply Klear over Alclad and whilst I agree that it does slightly alter the finish I feel it alters it a lot less than me B**gering up the decals and weathering. If you are worried about the slight difference I'd suggest trying on a bit of scrap and making an objective decision based on what you see.
Steve
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks to all that replied to this thread. In the end IO used Future over Alcalad on a spare fuselage and did notice a slight difference on the finished product. In the end I was used it on my P-47 and was pleased with the results. The finished product can be viewed as a contestant for the MOM in January.

Hermann.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 - 09:40 AM UTC
good to have this issue clarified and solved
 _GOTOTOP