_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
decal restoration or preservation
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:28 PM UTC
For those of you following my efforts to get decals for a VF 111 Sundowners phantom I succeeded. I found the old ESCI kit on ebay and won it. I built this kit 10 -15 years ago and when water hit the decals they powdered. I found some goopy stuff and put that on and was able to use most of the decals. Hence today....i want a sharp looking craft on display. So is there some spray out there that will do this. I plan to cut out decals I won't be using and test them first, but need a backup plan. Still haven't decided to go ahead and get the Hasegawa N kit or just build the ESCI and buy a few aftermarkets for her.
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi there. Try Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film. It is sold in a small bottle and can be brushed over a decal to hold things together. I've used it and it does work. Hope this helps. Russell
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:17 PM UTC
I second the Micro Scale Liquid Decal Film, I've saved many an old cracked decal sheet with it, not to mention many of those Eastern European fall apart on contact with water types.

Just brush it one, let it dry over night, I've never gotten any brush marks and it dries super thin. Just remember you have to trim each decal.

I tried spraying it once, but not too successful, as it's super thick, and I could not find a suitable thinner, and instead of spraying nicely it was more of a splatter and blob job. Maybe someone else knows of a thinner that will work for spraying.

You can also try LIGHT coats of Krylon clear varnish. (I've used this also) Just make sure you apply VERY light coats each time, as a wet coat may/will make the colors run. I wouldn't try any water based clear coats though.
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, December 28, 2009 - 06:26 PM UTC
OK I think I used this stuff 15 years ago. but I'll try it again. You sure are up late Dave. Still working the midnight shift

Steve
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 01:45 AM UTC
Testors has a decal system and the decal film is in a spray can . just spray over top let dry and cut out the decal .
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
No Steve, actually I'm working the day shift. Just some days I fall asleep in the chair after work, then it's kill a little time later at night before trying to get to sleep.
 _GOTOTOP