F15 A-C Differences ?
SIRNEIL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 658 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 08:56 AM UTC
Hello men.
Could anyone tell the difference between a F15-A and a F15-C ?
Also is it possible to turn a 1/48 hasegawa F15-a ADTAC into a F15-C ?

neil...........
SIRNEIL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:00 AM UTC
Can anyone help me please.
redcobra04
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:56 AM UTC
From what i have read there was no F-14C built. It was to be a upgrade of the F-14A. Wiyh bigger engines and Stronger landing gear and other items. They then went to the F-14D model instead . From what i can tell they didnt do the F-14C do to cost.
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 861 posts
AeroScale: 111 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:05 AM UTC
Neil,

This is just off the top of my head, and please keep in mind that I'm not exactly an expert an all things Eagle. I don't believe there are many visible differences between the -A and the -C, but the changes, as I remember them, are listed below.

The -C version received a number of improvements over the -A: greater internal fuel capacity, the ability to mount CFTs, several radar, weapons and electronics upgrades, and a higher gross takeoff weight. The landing gear of the -C version was beefed up to handle this, but I don't know how noticeable this would be on a scale model, as I'm unsure as to what parts were strengthened. Also, some time in the mid-1980's, -C versions received the Pratt & Whitney F100-220 engine, which was an improvement over the P&W F100-100 fitted to the -A. Many Eagles fly without the "turkey feathers" on the exhaust cans, so if the Hasegawa kit you are working with has them, you may need to find suitable replacements, from either a second kit or the aftermarket.

I will poke around in my reference file when I can this weekend and see if I can come up with anything more concrete.

HTH.

-YL
SIRNEIL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thank's for your reply andy.

Thank you yoni.
Would you agree that if if bought some aires exhausts and a cockpit for a F15C i should be pretty muh updated to a "C" version.

neil.........................
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 - 06:15 PM UTC
Neil,

I did some more poking around this weekend. While I wasn't able to find a definitive list of all the landing gear changes between the F-15A and -C, I did confirm that the wheels are different. I think if you found a new set of wheels, a -C cockpit and (depending on the bird you want to build) a new set of exhaust cans, you would be in business.

A few thoughts about these parts, in no particular order:

* IIRC, Academy's F-15C kit came with both feathered and featherless exhaust nozzles. It's possible that someone from the boards has a spare set sitting around. I'm not sure how they would fit the Hasegawa kit, but it's probably worth a shot, given the cost of resin replacements.

* The MLG and cockpit from Hasegawa's F-15C should fit your kit. Again, someone here at Aeroscale may have these parts sitting in the spares box. If not, the Aires cockpits for the F-15C are expensive, but very nicely done.

* True Details has a set of resin landing gear wheels for the F-15C/D in 1:48, and they're cheap (about $3 USD).

HTH. Good luck!

-YL
Yoni_Lev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 04:17 PM UTC
* UPDATE *

Neil,

I was discussing your project with a modeling buddy of mine, and he said he thought there was a difference in the area behind the air brake between the two versions. He thinks that there was a strengthening plate of some kind added to the area behind the air brake and between the tails on the top side. He said he was 90% sure this was an addition to the -C version birds, but didn't have any references to back it up.

Just a thought...

-YL
VMIVince
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 42 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Regarding the cockpit, the biggest difference between the A and C models are the additional MFDs that were added as part of the MSIP upgrades. If you don't want to spend the ~$35 for the Aires cockpit, you could probably add these very easily from styrene. Here's a photo of the current configuration. I beleive the MFD on the far left was the latest addition. I beleive the HOTAS was also added during the MSIP, but you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference on a 1/48 throttle.

As far as the reinforcing strips go, I don't have any firm references for you, but I could almost guarantee you they added a few more after that Eagle went down a year or so ago due to longeron fatigue.

_GOTOTOP