_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:72 Gotha Bomber
chriswanderson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
Hi: Before I start to build Roden's Gotha GII,GIII, I'm gathering information. I plan to do mostly O.T.B. but add non PE details where I can. I see in most pictures of the finished model that the forward gun mount ring has a break for the walkway. I've also seen in original photos,it as a complete 360 degrees ring. Was there a hinged or removable bridge section and how would it be attached? Also how far did the plywood front extend to the rear? I've looked at the fantastic build that Ocsi is doing on the Modellboard site, but haven't seen any real updates since November.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Chris Anderson
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject.

Gotha Datafile.

The gunner was supposed to crawl under the ring through the cutout. But more probably he used a ladder and the same ladder was use to bring up the Parabellum by the ground crew. The Plywood went back to the waist gunners position and stopped at the gun tunnel.

-Ocsi-
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 25 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hej Chris,

thank's for reading about my Gotha build!

About the gunring. There was a hinged section. The Gotha was a little bit tailheavy and on their way back from missions (without bombs under the nose) the backgunner had to go to the nosesection.

http://www.part.pl/s72/s72-150/model.html

The plywood covering reaches to the backgunners hole at the underside of the fuselage. But I'm not sure for the sidewalls and the upperside of the fuselage. Beside the pilot is a covered access hole and it looks like linnen with lacing. Maybe only the nose section was entirely plywood covered. I really don't know. But I know I did it wrong at my model (who cares )

Sorry for no updates for my Gotha build, but I broke my arm last summer and was little unsure about my skills. So I decided to restart with a Thulin LA and a Pfalz E.IV. After them I will continue with the Gotha!

Regards
Öcsi
chriswanderson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hi: Just wanted to say thanks for the information Stephen and Ocsi. Ocsi I hope your injury doesn't hurt your modeling skills. I can't wait for your next update.
Thanks,
Chris Anderson
 _GOTOTOP