_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
NEWS
Eduard February expected releases
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC

Here is a list of the aircraft related items to be released by Eduard in February. The Polikarpov I-16 will be "Profipacked" in it's Type 17 version while the WWI enthusiasts will be pleased to see the 1:48 scale Hanriot HD.1 in the Weekend line while the Fokker D.VII (O.A.W.) in the same scale will be reedited. But the real news is the launch of Eduard's new Brassin line of products.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

wondered when you would post the news ....

Does the January News link on the Eduard site from 31st work for you?

all the best

Steffen
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi Steffen,

Oups, it seems I've messed up with the Pfalz pictures... They are now in the appropriate location in the January News item. Thanks for the heads up.

Quoted Text

Does the January News link on the Eduard site from 31st work for you?

Well, not really. It seems they have messed up with the link. But now you can have the info on Aeroscale...

Quoted Text

wondered when you would post the news ....

When I find the time to do so. You know, three year child, wife, house, family, modelling, reviews, news items, publishing features etc... I can't always do what I want when I want sadly...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:13 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Well, i do not even need all that stuff to be short on publishing time .... I can surf while my nephew sits besides me but nothing more

As for the newsletter ... the January NL is the one where Mr. Schulz (... I know: Sulc with some crazy signs above the s and c) announces the programme for the coming year and I can find nothing of that in your other post/news item ...

cheers and a happy(!) new year

Steffen

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:36 AM UTC
Hi again Steffen,

Quoted Text

Well, i do not even need all that stuff to be short on publishing time .... I can surf while my nephew sits besides me but nothing more

Here you see! And in April comes the second one for us. I think I forgot to mention that I also have a job. But it is far behind on my priority list. I know I shouldn't say that...

Quoted Text

As for the newsletter ... the January NL is the one where Mr. Schulz (... I know: Sulc with some crazy signs above the s and c) announces the programme for the coming year and I can find nothing of that in your other post/news item ...

In fact I've altered the January News URL link on the Eduard site from 31st so that it works:
- New Products for January

There's no trace of the January 2010 Newsletter though. I wrote to my contact at Eduard that the link is broken but it seems they must recover from the New Year Party. I guess we will have to wait until monday...

Jean-Luc
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi J-L

Quoted Text

When I find the time to do so. You know, three year child, wife, house, family, modelling, reviews, news items, publishing features etc... I can't always do what I want when I want sadly...

Jean-Luc

re-reading this I wonder about 2 things:

1. Why not put the wife together with the child in the house and do some modelling and
2. You have a 2nd family besides your wife and child ?

cheers

Steffen
P.S. did you already meet with Marc, Geoffroy and Oliver?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
Hi again Steffen,

Quoted Text

1. Why not put the wife together with the child in the house and do some modelling

This is what I'm doing! My wife being pregnant she stays mostly at home taking care of our three year child... and I'm doing some modelling related things. But this will only work until April I'm afraid...

Quoted Text

2. You have a 2nd family besides your wife and child ?

I was speaking of Father and mother, sister, niece and nephew, Oma, mother-in-law etc... All the people your are supposed to see from time to time... My wife has 8 brother and sisters, this also makes a lot of people. Sometimes they even come to visit us in our house while I'm just sitting on the workbench or on the computer doing stuff for Aeroscale! How is this possible!

Quoted Text

P.S. did you already meet with Marc, Geoffroy and Oliver?

Yes, I even found some time to visit Marc. It was a nice day we spent talking about projects we will probably never have the time to do!

Jean-Luc
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 05:20 AM UTC
I'm surprised they're not releasing a 1/32nd version of their BF-110G nightfighter.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm surprised they're not releasing a 1/32nd version of their BF-110G nightfighter.

Hi Bill

sure you do not mix things with Dragon??? an new 32 scale 110 with the Dragon kit (in the same price range) already out is not very wise for a smaller manufacturer...

all the best

Steffen

ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
still waiting for their sepecat jaguars to be released,i do hope they dont forget about them.

paul
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC
[quotesure you do not mix things with Dragon??? an new 32 scale 110 with the Dragon kit (in the same price range) already out is not very wise for a smaller manufacturer...[/quote]
Hi, Stefan,

No, I'm quite sure. The Dragon 110 is the C variant. While it's a superb kit (I am about 90% finished with mine), it is quite different from the G nightfighter version. Some specifics:

1.) Longer length
2.) Larger rear stabilizers
3.) "Hump-back" engine nacelles
4.) Underwing fuel tanks
5.) Larger props & spinners
6.) Very different armament (including schraege Musik upwards-firing 2cm cannons mounted in the rear of the cockpit)
7.) Nose radar array and very different cockpit avionics
8.) "Stealth" exhaust covers to minimize flames and sparks at night
9.) Mostly white national insignia (the Dragon kit, BTW, has no swastikas nor stenciling and should be supplemented by the Eagle Cals decal set).

There is a new coversion set coming out from Super Bug through GreatModels.com, but that takes a $100 kit and puts it closer to $150+.

Given the only alternative in 1/32nd for this kit is the horrible Revell of Germany kit (which requires hard-to-find Jerry Rutman upgrades that don't fix all the kit's problems), I think Eduard is missing an opportunity here (unless Dragon is planning to release the C kit in a G variant).
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi Bill

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last commment - the design of the Dragon kits makes it look very likely that they've got a Bf 110G planned at some stage. I think that's probably what Steffen meant, because it would be a big economic risk to scale-up their 1:48 series when Dragon have (probably) got things covered.

All the best

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 06:27 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan

Exactly what I thoght but could not express (again). I do not think eduard is missing something as they do not have a 32 scale Bf110 C variant that just needs some adjustments (very simplified view I know) but Dragon does. And they will compete in the same price region (on the sale end) with Dragon as opposed to the Spitfire series that is not really battling with the high end Tamiya issue.

all the best

Steffen
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 06:41 AM UTC
Gentlemen, it's all about timing, LOL!

Dragon announced an Sd.Kfz.7 Prime Mover in their armor group 18 months before the thing ended up on shelves. In the interim, Trumpeter "ate their lunch" and sold-out most of its run on the same vehicle. Even if DML is planning on extending their C/D line, Eduard could do it now and soak up any pent-up demand for the G-4 in that scale.

How MUCH demand is hard to say. I don't know how well the C and D variants have sold, do you?

Given that Dragon has made no announcement about the BF-110, it's possible they are not looking to release another kit. Dragon has shown no reluctance to go head-to-head with other manufacturers in the armor arena (Trumpeter and Tasca), but Eduard has come to dominate the 1/32nd scale in several categories (BF-109). Dragon currently only has a few kits in that scale, so are we sure they intend to be players at that size? Trumpeter clearly sees itself as a 1/32nd source, though interestingly their BF-109 E is nowhere to be seen. Did they blink, given the current economy?

Eduard's 1/48th G-4 could be up-sized to 1/32nd without major redesign, so I will continue to stick with my assertion they are missing an opportunity to "steal a march" on DML. But what do I know?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi Bill

Well, research is maybe the cheapest part of the process. Still you should get that right to make some sales. But cutting the tool and etching on the panel lines is pretty expensive and (AND) the tool has to fit your machines. I do not know if Eduard did expand their machine park with the recent work shop overhaul.

As for leading the market re Bf 109E .. read again all the reviews and the fuzz about the canopy and other shape issues. Also you need the extra PE to detail the pit and other prominent areas ...

Just to make it clear: I like eduards kits, OTOH I think their PE is waaaay overpriced now and often you have to buy several sets to get the basic details (it was good value when they started it). I wish them all the best, but they probably have not the resources -neither manpower nor money- to compete (I mean the bar brawl type you metioned) with any Chinese company with an equally good (or bad) model. IMO producing a Bf110G-4 in 32 against Dragon would kill them .. but thats just my two Euro ct

all the best

Steffen
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As for leading the market re Bf 109E .. read again all the reviews and the fuzz about the canopy and other shape issues. Also you need the extra PE to detail the pit and other prominent areas ...

I have followed the reviews, but I'm unclear whether the negative ones have affected sales (that's what we're talking about). In the case of Trumpeter's halftrack (the Sd.Kfz.7), it has numerous accuracy issues, but modelers still bought it anyway, partly because it was 5-10 Euros cheaper than the DML kit that JUST made it to market a few months back.

Quoted Text

I like eduards kits, OTOH I think their PE is waaaay overpriced now and often you have to buy several sets to get the basic details (it was good value when they started it).

I agree. But one of the downsides of airplane modeling is that few kits come ready to build OOB: they all need resin this and PE that. The new Wingnut Wings kit I'm building is lovely, but it doesn't have the RAF wires or brackets for the rigging.

Quoted Text

They probably have not the resources -neither manpower nor money- to compete (I mean the bar brawl type you metioned) with any Chinese company with an equally good (or bad) model. IMO producing a Bf110G-4 in 32 against Dragon would kill them .. but thats just my two Euro ct.

As I said earlier, timing is everything. If Eduard released their G-4 now, they would have months to sell it. We don't even know if DML is going to extend their line, either. Rowan is right that there are some parts not used on the C variant, but there still would have to be a lot of new styrene to cover the items I listed above. It is a logical step, but not a certainty.

Unless Rowan knows something he's not telling?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
Hello again

Well, lets just agree to disagree (besides we have captured a thread again ... )

Designing a kit takes some time. The recent Trumpeter/HobbyBoss interview on Cybermodeller mentioned 8 months (IIRC) but I guess if any chinese company wanted it faster they could easily do as money and workforce is not really a factor. Revell works about 2 years in advance and judging Eduards news announcements I think they have a similar time frame. You are right that news make the sales, but you just can't snip your fingers and have a new tool.

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP