_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
1:48 Supermarine Seagull Mk. II
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC

Hi there

It's a new year, so why not start a new build! Silver Wings' superb resin Seagull, as reviewed HERE.

Well, "start" is maybe exagerrating a little, because the first task is organising the myriad of tiny parts ready for their respective sub-assemblies and gathering what references I can. I'll be doing a little gentle prep while working on other projects, so it'll be a little while before you see much progress.

The reason for starting this Blog now is to use the chance to ask if anyone has any info on the Seagull that they can share. I've found some general views on the internet, but nothing of any great value.

In particular at this stage, I'd very much appreciate any information on the interior. The kit's instructions call for a wood finish, but I'm reminded of the Supermarine Southampton at RAF Hendon that has the interior painted white. It's a slightly later aircraft, but similar construction, so I wonder if the white finish was standard practice?

Apparently, there's the partial hull of an unidentified Seagull at the Solent Sky Museum, so I might treat myself to a day out in Southampton to take a look and try to bring back some pics for our Walkaround section.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer, and all the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:45 PM UTC
Don't even think about it... what will your Spitfire say when he will see you have another friend on the workbench?
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
Good luck with the rigging

Cheers Nick
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 11:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't even think about it... what will your Spitfire say when he will see you have another friend on the workbench?

Hi Michal

They're already getting on well together - I told them they've got to behave because they're likely to be joined by some more new samples soon and they've got to set a good example!

@ Nick - Yes, this is going to involve more rigging than I've ever tackled before. I've ordered an Aeroclub biplane-jig that I hope will be useful in assembling the wings.

All the best

Rowan
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 01:10 AM UTC
Oh yes, stupid me...how could the Spitfire behave, Seagull is his older and bigger brother so it wouldn't be smart to lip off too much.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2010 - 01:48 AM UTC
This will be an interesting build to see Rowan

I'm sure the rigging will be a piece of cake If it becomes to be to much of a build I know Michal would be glad to take over and give you hand !
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:02 PM UTC
Hi there

Well, for want of any info, I'll go with a wood-finish interior. I'll make a start today. Of course, you can bet a comprehensive of set of original prints showing a white interior will surface just as I close up the hull!

All the best

Rowan
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 10:55 PM UTC
No interior shots but some pontification and photos
http://theflyingboatforum.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=398
If you've not asked there yet you should, someone might have something.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi JP

Many thanks - I will post a question there and see if anyone can help.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 - 09:27 PM UTC
Hi again

I've joined the Flying Boat Forum, but there's a delay in activating accounts so I can't ask my question(s) yet. So I'll carry on in the assumption that Silver Wings are right about the wood finish.

The floors and bulkheads all fit perfectly - hopefully a really good omen for the rest of the build.

All the best

Rowan
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 - 07:07 AM UTC
thanks for the heads up on the flying boat forum,cant get enough of them
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 12:08 PM UTC
Hi again

Well, it doesn't look like any info on the interior is going to be forthcoming in the short term, so it's time to get to work. I'll follow the instructions and go with a wood finish. The hull was mahogany, so it'll be pretty dark and dingy inside - not particularly practical. I guess that's why they started painting the cockpits very pale grey.

The offices should go together nicely - as I noted earlier, the floors and bulkheads are an excellent fit:

I've got the interior parts basically cleaned up and ready to start painting tomorrow. If the control wheel looks a bit odd, it's because the kit part was an early victim of the carpet monster. I quickly knocked up a replacement tonight, but without the original to go by (only the drawing in the instructions) I can't vouch for my version being the same size:

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi again

Well, for once my notorious slowness seems to have paid off! An Australian member of the Flying Boat forum has provided some really useful information including that the interior was largely painted white! There's also a question over the shape of the engineer's fairing, but that's something to tackle later. For now, it's on with the interior - and, luckily, I'd done no more than a quick undercoat of RLM 79, so there's no work wasted.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 12:30 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,

The interior of the fuselage looks really excellent. It seems to be a very fine resin model. I'm sure it will look great with some drybrushing and a wash. I'm looking forward to see more...

Jean-Luc
jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 02:13 AM UTC
See, it doesnt pay to rush these things
That would've really been annoying to paint the whole thing in a
gorgeous chocolate mahogany only to have strip and the interior
even worse.

:[]--
I tarried on my Sunderland G-AGES and it turned out not to be a silver
finish after all. Thankfully Mal hadn't done the masks for it yet
either as the codes turned out to be slightly different too. Phew!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi guys

See - and everyone thinks I'm only slow because I'm useless! There's a logic behind it somewhere...

Well, the final piece of the puzzle arrived today:

I'm fast running out of excuses - I'll really have to get on and build the beauty! (I actually did spray a coat of white on the interior before going out this morning).

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP