_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Contests
A monthly online photo contest. Show your work!
January 2010 Model of the Month (MOM) Contest
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, January 04, 2010 - 07:52 AM UTC
Post your 3 pictures for the January Model of the Month competition HERE.
Post your, single, picture for voting purposes
HERE

Rules for the new Model of the Month. Please read before posting

1. Entries must be of your own work.
2. The model must be of an aircraft.
3. The model can be in any scale and in any medium.
4. The model can be “out of the box”, scratch built, or anything in between.
5. The model must be finished within the month for which it is entered. The model could have been started some time before the MOM for which it is entered, it is the month in which it is actually finished that counts. So if it isn't finished this month it may be ready for next month or the month after
6. 1 picture is to be uploaded into the relevant gallery and titled with what the model is of, I.E. VS Spitfire Mk Vc. No composites. This picture must be of just the model, no base. (For a model posed in the "in Flight" configuration" a small stand is allowed which can be used to either support the model or as a counter weight. A beaching dolly can be used for a float plane. A model of a crashed aircraft on a simple base is allowed. This, simple, base can only be of groundwork, no vehicles, trees, fences etc or figures are allowed, but items off the aircraft are (such as wheels).
7. A thread will be opened in the general aircraft forum in which you MUST add up to 3 further pictures and you MAY add details about the build. The model can appear on a base or even in a diorama in this thread. Pictures must not be larger than 800 pixels wide, in either the gallery or the information thread. If you wish to post further pictures then open your own thread.
8. Pictures of models can be placed in the gallery from the first of the month until the penultimate day of the month (the next to last day) (see “5” above). (This is to avoid the time zone difference, I'm working on GMT)
9. Voting will take place over the first half of the next month, closing on the 16th. (This will be between 18.00 and 00.01 GMT)
10. A member winning one month cannot win the following month.
11. Dragon are sponsoring this from June 2007.
12. Staff members of the Kitmaker group of sites cannot enter.
13. The rules will be added to when and if it is deemed necessary.
14. Any none complience with these rules may result in disqualification.
15. Ignorance of these rules is not an excuse for not abiding by them.
This post was removed.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 06:58 AM UTC
Kinetic 1/48 F-16DJ OOB except resin seats and ejector rack from F/A-18

Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Hasegawa's 1/32 Ki-44II Hei Shoki(Tojo.) My chosen scheme is for WO Makota Ogawa, of the 3rd Squadron, 70th Flight Regiment, Kashiwa Air Field, 1945. Painted and Tamiya acrylics and Me Color Metallic Range for the Bare Metal. Small amount scratch detail was added, control cables in the cockpit, brake lines on the landing gears, wiring the ignition on the engine and drilling out the tail wheel fork.

Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 - 07:40 PM UTC
Thank God I haven't finished any kit in December...I wouldn't have any chances... Great models people! It will be a month of making "hard decisions".
camogirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,045 posts
AeroScale: 622 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank God I haven't finished any kit in December...I wouldn't have any chances... Great models people! It will be a month of making "hard decisions".

It won't be that hard a decision, as I've unfortunately had to withdraw my entry because I've remembered that I'm a moderator over on the IPMS UK Kitmaker site which makes me a Kitmaker staff member, which breaks rule 12 (at least I remembered now).

Currently the decision lies on only one kit as modelguy2 hasn't posted a picture in the gallery for voting yet
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi Sam,
Yes I'm sorry I will have to delete your entry. I was looking to see if there was a way that you may be eligable, as it's a great looking model, but unfortunately not. Full marks though for bringing it to my attention as you could have snuck under the wire without anyone noticing.
Mecenas
KitMaker: 1,596 posts
AeroScale: 1,275 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 07:27 AM UTC
Mal, could you please expalin me what's the month of this MOM? In the topic we have "January" but your first sentence says it December... as far as I know it should be January all the way
hkopper
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 529 posts
AeroScale: 340 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 01:33 AM UTC
My entry for the month of January will be Tamiya's P-47D Thunderbolt (1:48). The kit was built straight out of the box with Eduard's interior PE set. Paints used for the interior, wheel well, invasion stripes and cowling where a mix of Tamiya and ModelMaster acrylics. The metalizer used for the bare metal finish was a mix of Alclad II's duraluminum, aluminum and dark aluminum. The decals used to represent Lt Col. Glenn Eagleston's Thunderbolt was donated by a colleague of mine from South Africa: Tony Dill (it came from a Hasegawa kit).

Hermann
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mal, could you please expalin me what's the month of this MOM? In the topic we have "January" but your first sentence says it December... as far as I know it should be January all the way

Knowing Mal as I do, I expect its just a "cut and paste" and he forgot to change the month
I'm sure Mal will want to give me a slap for being cheeky,,,but the chances of him actually remembering to do so next time I see him are slim
Nige

I'll err,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,get me coat.
The_Migrant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hard to compete with the big-scale stuff (especially when it's done so well) when you build in the smaller scales, but FWIW here's my Academy 1/72 P-51B. The cockpit has a True Details seat, and the markings are home-made ('Scarlet Kate', personal mount of Maj. George R. Rew, 361st FG, 8th AF). It's a straightforward little kit except for the rear fuselage being split.

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi. This is my entry for MOM Jan. This is Trumpeters 1/32 scale Mig 3. Basically out of the box except for belts made from Verlinden Lead Foil. ModelMaster enamel and acrylic paints were used. Interiors of the wingtip lights were painted with Tamiyas clear green and clear red. Mals Miracle Masks were used in place of the kit decals. Weathering was done using a raw umber wash and artist chalks. Antenna is stretched sprue tightened by placing a blown out match under the sprue. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.

james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:28 PM UTC
All excellent, guys!
I've already chosen my favourite!
Removed by original poster on 01/24/10 - 21:13:44 (GMT).
kiwisoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 10:46 AM UTC
This Is my Hasegawa 1/48 F-4 Phantom II 184th FIS 191st FIG Michigan ANG with True Detail Cockpit [img] [img] [img]
This post was removed.
atoplu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hi there,
This is my entry for January MOM. Academy F-84G in 1/72 scale. Turkish Air Force acrobatic squadron "Milli" as national.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 12:18 PM UTC
Wow. Great models, but Rule 6 looks like the deal breaker.......
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 09:36 PM UTC
Hi everyone.
Great entries.Its going to be a tough job picking one out!
Staff Jim reports that any problems with uploading photos into the galleries have been sorted out, so you shouldn't have any problems uploading your entries now.
A quick reminder of rule 6.

Quoted Text

6. 1 picture is to be uploaded into the relevant gallery and titled with what the model is of, I.E. VS Spitfire Mk Vc. No composites. This picture must be of just the model, no base. (For a model posed in the "in Flight" configuration" a small stand is allowed which can be used to either support the model or as a counter weight. A beaching dolly can be used for a float plane. A model of a crashed aircraft on a simple base is allowed. This, simple, base can only be of groundwork, no vehicles, trees, fences etc or figures are allowed, but items off the aircraft are (such as wheels).

At the moment only one of the entries actually qualifies for MoM.
If you don't upload a photo of your entry into the gallery it can't be included in the voting.
Nige
kiwisoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Plymouth, New Zealand
KitMaker: 50 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 10:28 PM UTC
Can you please explain why there is only one
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you please explain why there is only one

At the time of writing only one entry qualified because it was the only one where a photo had been uploaded into the voting gallery as well as the required 3 photos in this thread.
There are 2 now.
Basically. Entrants must load 3 photos into the contest thread ( this one) and a single photo into the gallery for voting purposes.
See rules 6 and 7.
Hope this answers your question and if you need any more help dont hesitate to ask.
The January 2010 MoM gallery can be found HERE
Nige
The_Migrant
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC
There seems to be some confusion because there are currently two galleries being used for this month's contest. The first:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25169 which is a general MOM 2010 gallery.

And the second:

http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25170 which is a January 2010 MOM gallery.
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
You have to upload into the January album or else no one will be able to vote for your project. In this album presently are P-51, F-84, F-4, F-16 and Ki-44. The others should e uploaded here as well.
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/25170
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 04:30 PM UTC
Thank you Mike for that information. Not sure what I did wrong there. Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP