_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
paasche millennium airbrush
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 05:05 PM UTC
I am having a bad time with this airbrush, have spent about 3 hours trying to fix it, paint bubbles appear in color cup and I have narrowed it down to a bad valve seat in the valve casing, the assembly is pretty cheesy as the valve nut is not easy to thread or tighten properly, may very well be that I overtightened it and ruined valve seat.I must be onto something as paasche is ofering a redesigned valve casing internals.Question is should I be patient and repair the airbrush or cut my losses and buy another brand? I have contacted paasche and hope to resolve, meanwhile back to my old Aztec 220 single action..very reliable if not crude
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 08, 2010 - 08:40 PM UTC
Hi Dave

I've never used the Paasche in question, but bubbles in the paint cup could also be down to the nozzle or paint tip not being on tight enough.

As regards tightening - I only do things like this up as hard as I can manage without using a tool. You shouldn't need pliers or a spanner (some airbrushes include a tiny spanner for the nozzle - be VERY careful using this, or you can damage the part). You must have really gone some if you think you may have overtighted to the point where you've damaged the seal...

All the best

Rowan
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 09, 2010 - 03:28 AM UTC
I tightened the aircap/paint tip with the wrench that paasche provides, the part I think I damaged cost $6.50 to replace, I think its my mistake however paasche sure makes it tought to service the air valve casing in question..thanks for the advice.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
this airbrush is still not working working with Paasche on it..they have been very patient with me hope to resolve problem today.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 09:12 PM UTC
Hi Dave

When you say it's still not working, do you mean there are still bubbles in the paint cup?

If so, there's a couple of other things you should check:

a. that everything's clean (paint clogging in the tip can also cause bubbles), and
b. that you haven't got a split o-ring seal (maybe by over-tightening)

I guess it could also be that the paint is simply too thick, clogging the tip as soon as you try to use it.

Good luck

All the best

Rowan
blaster76
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:52 PM UTC
I have only used a Paasche single action, but I frequently have a problem with thick paint. I use an eyedropper full of thinner and shoot it into the tip back and forth to get the thick paint to bust free. My problem usually occurs because of settling problems with the paint. I use enamels by the way acrylic seems to have problems with my old brush and i usually don't attempt to use them very often. Some luck with the Tamiya stuff occassionally
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 24, 2010 - 11:33 AM UTC
I have this problem as referenced by Paasche instruction, "an air leak, after the finger lever assembly #8 has been released, indicates that foreign matter has worked into the air valve #16 or valve washer #17 and damaged them" soooo I ordered a new valve casing and a new version of valve plunger assembly, will arrive soon and try to repair myself I am not pleased with paasche support, I was able to contact by phone once and some of the problems were solved, packing nut too tight causing needle to stick, loosened up packing nut and problem solved.I am sure the aircap body is tight, able to duplicate problem of air in cup..tightened up and it stops bubbling,however air leaking into shell assembly persists 2 emails and 3 phone calls with no call back, not happy, would go with another brand if I could afford to this brush is not expensive however I was hoping for better support? granted I probably overtightened air valve nut and caused my own grief no support in regards to valve casing problem...why oh why paasche I have dis assembled and cleaned everything about 5 times.
Removed by original poster on 01/25/10 - 12:33:31 (GMT).
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
airbrush is working fine now, I withdraw my criticism of Paasche, some air leak into shell assembly is normal? anyway airbrush works fine now...after 3 weeks of troubleshooting,still not real happy about lack of reply or help, good product,operator error.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

some air leak into shell assembly is normal?

Hi Dave

Having never used this model of airbrush, I can't really comment beyond saying that it does seem very odd - some compressors have connections with a tiny pin-hole to bleed off air, I've never had an airbrush that leaks. Still, the main thing is that it's working for you now and you can get back to enjoying yourself painting!

All the best

Rowan
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
I received upgraded parts, plunger and trigger and new valve casing 1/2 hour ago, much smoother pull on trigger now maybe this is some help to others? all air air leaks gone now in shell assembly and cup, must be something to this if Paasche upgraded parts on this airbrush,I feel I could be a rep for Paasche with my vast experience I will chill out and carry on, thanks for support
 _GOTOTOP