_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
F-105 (Update 1)
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:46 PM UTC
Well, this is another kit I've been wanting to get started and have decided to do so. This is the cockpit completed minus the control stick. The seatbelt painting is kinda iffy but it'll do. Critques encouraged.

brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Tin-Can, looking good. One thing you could maybe do is to add some colour to the switches on the consoles and instruments. There was a bit of colour to be seen as you can see (if the picture shows)

Martin
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:03 AM UTC
Hi Tin Can

Neat job :-) and looking good...

My suggestion (before you close everything up) would be a dark wash, followed by dry-brushing on the high-lights to really make the detail "pop out" :-)

As an alternative, a little work with pastels, to give extra depth and wear, can really bring a cockpit tub to life.

Nice one as always

Rowan
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:20 PM UTC
The drybrushing work looks good, and the suggestion to add color is also a good one. I would suggest that you drybrush the ejection seat as well as the panels.

I agree that a wash would really give the whole thing some shadows and depth. Also, you could try to break the panels' sheen up by adding a gloss coat to the instrument dials and faces. You can use gloss coat, Future, Micro Crystal Clear, or just about any glossy type of product.

Nice work so far, I am looking forward to seeing more.

Scott
Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC
For me I'd say it's good to go. But some color might add to it
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 08:33 AM UTC
:-) Looking forward to seeing this one develope, Brian. I have this kit, but, as we dicussed in another thread, I just have to re-scribe it (it is partly done I'm now hoping that this gives me the nudge I need to get on with it)
I agree about a bit of colour on the instrument panel. A suggestion for the seat. To make the seat belts look more 3 dimensional, here's what I do. First of all paint black around the edge of the belts (doesn't have to be to neat), paint the belts, then paint the seat cushion and back rest. Cutting back the black so just a thin line is left. This will suggest a shadow and make the belts look more 3 dimensional. This is surprisingly easy to do and simpler than trying to add shadows after painting the seat. For belts and the like this method is superior to washes, IMHO. Try it you wil like it :-)
Mal
 _GOTOTOP