_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Check Out My Hasegawa "George"
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:59 PM UTC
Check out my 1/48 Hasegawa "George". I know its great, you don't have to tell me. I hear it all the time.

Tell me what you think!

Thanks!

~Chip :-)
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 06:59 PM UTC
It's looking good, even if I wonder if the paint chipping is not a bit heavy... But I don't have pictures of the real thing under my eyes, so...
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:01 PM UTC
Oh and by the way, it isn't done yet. I just finished painting it today. Then I layed it on my scanner, and put it here. The peeling paint is pretty evident.

~Chip
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi Chip

I think the paintwork is a little too fresh... maybe you should weather it!! :-) :-) !!

No, seriously, very nice!! :-) What's your technique for the paint peeling? One day I'm going to have to have another go at extreme weathering - I ditched my previous efforts.

I've got some reference shots of Japanese a/c with weathering of this level, so nice job!! :-)

All the best

Rowan
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 09:37 PM UTC

Hi Chip ,

I like Your excelent JOB with wheathering method - it looks a bit "wracky" - but I know some of Japanese aircrafts had those schemes - How much time this painting takes ?

Regards
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
nice job,,, its comeing along great
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
Tomcat, the paint job took me 16 monthes! No! Heres what I did for you guys that want to be cool and do an airplane that looks exactly like Chip's.

1. Spray painted it all Testors 1246 Silver.

2. Let dry 3-4 days.

3. Airbrushed Model Master Enamel Imperial Japanese Navy Green.

4. Let green start to dry.

5. Take masking tape and press it onto paint. Make sure that it is kinda dry, the paint not sopping wet.

6. Peeled off. And with that its the peeling paint.

PenPen, it isn't heavy, because I said so. #:-) Thanks for pointing that out though.

And it isn't finished yet, so we'll get that out of the way now.

Any other questions? Let me know.

Shado1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tochigi-ken, Japan / 日本
KitMaker: 211 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC
Looks good to me!
But you already know that.
If anyone's seen pix of Japanese aircraft in the field, you know there's no such thing as too much peeling or weathering!
Looking forward to seeing the finished pix.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
Looking good. It looks like it's been through a hell of battles and lived!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
:-) Yep love it, the pealing silver paint showing the green undercoat, loverly :-)
Seriously I like the idea of ultra weathering Japanese aircraft and I like the method you have used. I know not all Japanese aircraft lost their paint this way ( I believe it might have had something to do with wether or not a primer was used?) but it sure looks cool, as well as different. I would only say, IMHO, that when using this method to strip off paint a little less random affect might be better. By this I mean that the pealing paint would, I think, eminate from panel lines (not totaly, but mostly). To achieve this ( I have never done this, but intend to experiment ) try masking off the panel junction with a post it note, then use the masking tape to pull off the paint. I plan on doing something similar, but using a cloth damp with thinners to wipe off paint. One other point, apparently the meatballs weren't as prone to pealing as the main camo colours but they will look odd on a heavily chipped plane, if they are pristeen. My solution to this would be to airbrush them on and weather them at the same time as the rest of the aircraft, only not has heavily :-)
Chip, nice one looking forward to seeing this finished
Mal
Bobden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hey chip maybe u should use the salt methed for paint chipping next time cuzz the weathering on your Goerge is a little to much, but good job it still looks sweet. OK BYE!
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
This my friends happens to be a fine speciman of a Japanese true Japanese flying machine. I have taken into account all of your posts. Posts that were concerned for me and "George", concerned that George had a bad peeling problem, Some of you think that George looked pretty good in his state. George is not finished yet. But whatever you say about george it doesn't matter because she likes it, my girl. And thats all that matters, owwwwww all mushy and fuzzy now! Anyway thanks for letting me know what I can improve on and what needs to stay the same. Thanks again guys, especially to Shado1 and Bobden.

SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 07:01 PM UTC
I have one question of this GREAT looking weathered plane thingy. When you decal them how do you plan to weather the decal? I mean the meat ball. Because in my opinion a complete perfect meat ball would look out of place on such a heavily chipped plane. So maybe you want to do something about the meatball as well, maybe peel it off a little. Overall looked very nicely done.

By the way, now Aunt Diana, she looked GREAT!

Good work. Chip.
Bobden
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 07:44 PM UTC
NP chip I'll help any time. SS-?? what u do is once you put on the meat ball you chip it a little with like and exacto knife or something thats what I did with my 109's black cross so if that helped yeah hehe ok cya later BYE!
PS. Hey Chip maybe you should make like area's where you can tell that it was shot up and replaced with a new sheet of metal. Cuzz a plane thats been threw hell and back should have a few battle scares hehe ok cya later Chip BYE!

Brendan
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2003 - 08:00 PM UTC
I have the insignia all planned out, don't worry about a thing gentlement! Papa Chip will take care of it. And, unfortunaly I can't tell you what I am going to do, because then it wouldn't be a surprise!

~Chip (:-)
 _GOTOTOP