_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
my weighty nose
MTG999
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Guys, some advice needed please.

when it comes to adding weight to the nose of a model so that it dose not tail drag, what is the best type of adhesive to use?

on a recent project I measured out the amount of lead shot (fishing weight) I needed and then tipped it into the nose cone. to stop it all rattling around I squirted in a genourus amount of Humbrol modeling cement. on inspection a couple of days later I found that the nose cone had melted, the lead weight was still wet and swimming in a soup of melted plastic and semi dried glue. i am now awaiting a replacment nose cone in the post, while it wings its way to me, any advice on how not to melt one's models in the future?

cheers
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC
I always use a similar method but use super glue with accelerator . I find that with this method it's best to build in layers.
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 03:52 AM UTC
I use the same process as your but with just white/elmers school glue in the nose cone. If needed I can also hide it behind/under/above/around anything that won't be seen when the build is done. It only takes about a day for it to set up in a nose cone, smaller uses don't take but a couple hours.
guitarlute101
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,121 posts
AeroScale: 1,063 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
Mark,

I used large lead fishing sinkers and Elmer's white glue in the nose of the bottom 262 (the red area). Put the sinkers in in layers and use as much glue as it takes to coat them. After a few days they are dry and do not rattle around. The Elmer's glue won't attack and melt the plastic at all.

Mark
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC
The best way to avoid such mishaps in the future is not to use styrene cement, at least in large amounts. Firstly, although the weights used will stick to the softened/melted plastic, they don't "glue" to it since they don't react with the cement. And secondly, as you said to have found out, excessive amounts of styrene cement melt and distort parts and can take a veeeery long time to dry.
Good to hear you got a replacement part on it's way.

I second the opinions above, superglue is good, as are other adhesives that don't attack styrene, like various PVA types, gator, etc.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 04:46 AM UTC
I have a dim recollection of someone using putty to plug the weights in. But it probably has the wame has the same potential to melt the plastic as the styrene glue. How about epoxies?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 06:49 AM UTC
Yes, sure. Why not.
If it's a putty which bonds to the plastic by melting it, like Squadron's green for example, the same cautions apply as with styrene cement (although they don't attack as radically).
Epoxies should be good if I'm not mistaken. Be it epoxy glues or putties. As they also don't dry by evaporation of a solvent, but cure chemically, thicker layers won't be an issue. I have the impression that 2-part epoxies are similar to casting resin in that they generate heat as they cure. That's most likely nothing to worry about on uses as small as an aircraft nose cone, but good to know nonetheless
MTG999
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 9 posts
AeroScale: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
so maybe a PVA glue is that what you AMericans call "ellmers"? or super glue?

tahts good advice guys cheers!
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
Yes Elmers glue in the US is what we call PVA glue. I believe super glue is referred to as super glue the world over but it's proper name is cyanoacrylate or CA for short.

By the way welcome to Aeroscale and the Kitmaker network
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 - 11:23 AM UTC
It may sound silly, but I use Sculpey with embedded sinkers/weights stuffed into whatever crevice I can find, and brush a little CA glue over it. So far, it's worked for me.

Cheers,
Mike
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
I use what you call blu tac. It is yellow over here.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 07:37 AM UTC
I use Plasticene modelling clay somtimes with lead shot or nuts and bolts embedded in it.
miteco20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
CA for me however, it can attack plastic if you use too much and be sure not to touch it or your prints will melt into the plastic. Use as little as possible. I usually apply it like I would Tenax or Pro-Weld. For weights I use segmented lead weights. They're flat so they won't roll around in the nose cone or wherever you decide to put them. They can also be cut pretty easily to size.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK204&P=ML
 _GOTOTOP