_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Tamiya's 1-32" Zero fit problems?
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi Everyone,
I have just begun work on the Tamiya 1-32 scale Type 52 Zero.
I was browsing the web when I read somewhere (Scale hobby.com, I think,) that there were some fit problems with the cowling closing correctly over the finished fuselage. Has anyone else heard of this problem, and could maybe offer a solution. I am putting a lot of time and effort into this project, and would hate to have it spoiled at the end. I can't believe that after all the research that Tamiya must have put into this kit, that they would let this happen!

Thanks a lot everyone!
didiumus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 01:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Everyone,
I have just begun work on the Tamiya 1-32 scale Type 52 Zero.
I was browsing the web when I read somewhere (Scale hobby.com, I think,) that there were some fit problems with the cowling closing correctly over the finished fuselage. Has anyone else heard of this problem, and could maybe offer a solution. I am putting a lot of time and effort into this project, and would hate to have it spoiled at the end. I can't believe that after all the research that Tamiya must have put into this kit, that they would let this happen!

Thanks a lot everyone!

I have one of these kits, and I have test fit these parts, and they fit beautifully. Not only that, but they are designed to be removable, you don't even need to glue them in place. This is without a doubt the finest WW II aircraft model ever produced, and it was a labor of love for Tamiya. At one point, Mr Tamiya apparently scrapped the tooling and had the team start over after flying to the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, California to examine their Zero.

I know several people that have built this kit, and I have heard no such complaints. Is it possible that the person who said this made a mistake in assembly? Mine fit like a glove.

HTH,

Scott
Siggi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 90 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
The cowling has grooves in it that fit onto the frames that are built into the engine-block. It's possible during assembly to have the frames microscopically out of line, or to overload the cowling grooves with paint, both of which could lead to a tight fit. My Zero has such a problem and the cowling halves need a bit of a juggle&pinch to seat properly, and will 'pop' slightly given an excuse.

You also need to watch out for the engine bearers. Mine somehow got out of whack (I have no idea how) and I had to remove two of the pins that were supposed to mate with holes in the engine. Not a problem as two were still ok and superglue ensured a solid fix. Bear in mind that it is practically impossible to eyeball these pins and holes when you mate the engine block with it's fuselage bearers.
Teacher
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 10:54 AM UTC
I've one sitting on my shelf almost complete (just waiting for final weathering). The model is as good as it gets. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) fits absolutely perfect! I even scratchbuilt a lot for the engine and cockpit.........and everything still fit perfectly. If you have read a review somewhere saying something on this kit is a por fit then whoever wrote it didn't build it properly. If you're careful and build it correctly you will not have any fit problems.
Good modeling!

Vinnie
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC
yes u can take the cowl off even on my 1/48 scale zero the cowl comes off
tek2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 04:53 AM UTC
Thanks everyone.

You all have set my mind at ease.
This kit is a very slow build, with all the assembly, and painting, of the small parts. But I shall plow ahead, being very careful, with the fitting of parts. I am now sure that if any problems should occur they will be because of mistakes that I made in the assembly (Not that I expect any!!)

Hope to post some pictures when finished.
Again!
Thanks All
Posted: Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
It's good to hear such nice things being said about this kit. As it is one of the priimary models on my To Get / Buy List. And it looks like a Real Doozey i.e. Will take ALOT of time to work on. BUT I am looking forward to getting one. Probably sometime early next year. That, And the Swordfish, Also a Tamiya product. So I am looking forward to getting some serious Aircraft building done. Currently I am working on the F-15E Strike Eagle (Revell). Can't wait to finish it.
 _GOTOTOP