_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Looking for advice.
lordderfel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 10:10 AM UTC
Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and a returning model maker (not made one for about 30 years so I'm a bit rusty). Just made a 1:72 airfix Spitfire with my 8 year old son a thoroughly enjoyed it so I've invested in a 1:24 scale Airfix Spitfire MkV. I am using extra reference materials from an excellent CD Rom called Spitfire MK V explored and plan to add to the detail.

My question is this: I see paint has moved on a lot from the simple Humbrol enamel paints and I am confused. What type of paint is best? Enamel, Oil or Acrylic? Am I better painting or airbrushing the main fuselage? What about weathering? I intend to make it look aged and well flown and I see a myriad of products suggested for this.

Can I say I am not without some skill as I teach Design Technology and make hundreds of models (some working) with my pupils in the workshop.

I intend to record my experience and will post the stages once I begin if anyone is interested.

Andy
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 03:22 PM UTC
Hi Andrew and welcome. I only got back into modelling a couple of years back and found this place invaluable for help and tips. It really is the best tool I have. To answer a couple of your questions..

Paint, enamel or acrylic? I too used to only know Humbrol enamels, but now swear by acrylics for airbrushing. I use mainly Tamiya and Xtracrylics as they are easiest to get hold of for me. For small details and drybrushing I still use enamels, and for weathering and some detail work I use a few oils.

I would airbrush the main fuselage and wings, you get a far better finish, will use less paint, and on a model that size, will be a sight quicker!

Weathering is all about taste, some people like it, others don't. For me its all down to what you think looks right. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that!! Personally, I like a bit of pre-shading to accent panels, along with a wash to highlight panel lines, and subtle exhaust and guns stains. On the Spitfire, the Merlin used to leak a good bit of oil, so some fuild stains and grime on the undersurfaces would be amiss either. A few paint chips with a silver pencil looks good too, but don't go mad (IMHO).

Just a couple of ideas about what I like, others will suggest more, but the best piece of advise I could give is ask plenty of questions, you will get a lot of good ideas and help here. And please post photos of your build.
lordderfel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 37 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
Thanks for that Steve. Your reply was very useful. I will be getting some acrylics and I think a new airbrush and compressor.
Build starting over the weekend so hopefully some photos will be uploaded soon.
Andy
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hello, welcome on board Andrew!

I second the remarks of Steve.

on weathering: I find that this is often overdone; less is more is definitively a good approach here.

But do go for a decent airbrush, considering your profession where it could become useful as well it will be a very good investment.

On paints: Humbrol is still widely used but there are plenty of alternatives . I can't recommend any brand in particular. however, there is a standard (federal standard 595 or something like that) abbreviated to FS and I generally only buy paints which mention the FS (or for which there is a clear link to FS).

Otherwise, every paint brand is working with descriptions like "dark sea grey" whereby the dark sea grey of one brand is not the same as the one from another;
 _GOTOTOP