_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
elementary, Mr. Watson
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 01:22 PM UTC
Do most experienced kit modelers use their airbrush for all painted parts; or do they paint partly with the airbrush and small parts with a paint brush?
Thanks, Ron
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi there Ron. I use my airbrush, to paint the large parts and some of the small. Touch up work I leave to the brush and some very small parts such as the grip of the stick in an aircraft I paint with a brush as well. It is really up to you how you do it. Hope this helps out some. Russell
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
Thanks Russell
I don't have a airbrush yet but plan to get one soon. I would imagine that a coat of paint would be thinner with the airbrush thus revealing more detail in the final product. Do you find that to be the case?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi Ron !

Most of my painting is done with the airbrush . Only smaller items in the cockpit are painted by hand . My woodgrainning is always done by hand ( WW 1 modeller ) Yes the paint brush will cover the detail with a heavier coat of paint then what the airbrush will and some detail will be lost . For hand painting larger areas you can add a few drops of dish soap to help level of the paint and have fewer brush strokes show up in the final results ( Acrylic that is ). Do try ans stay away from the Tamiya paints for this as they work better airbrushed .

What airbrush are you planning on getting ?
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 11:41 PM UTC
airbrush for overall surfaces, brush for details

often, i have several models on the workbench and if it happens that i need to airbrush a color apearing on two planes i take them both, including small parts.

Details like a pitot tube, tires, cockpit dails, the stick are always brush
tquad6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 05:23 AM UTC
I'm considering an Aztec 4702 or a Badger 105 Patriot. What do you think?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
Most people find one they like, and tend to stick with that barand. When I was a kid, I picked up a Badger and used that brand exclusively until a few years ago, when I picked up a double action Paasche. Not that any of this really matters to you. What does matter is that you find something you like, which will allow you to experiment a little, and learn to use it well. In a year or two you will probably develop a desire to upgrade. You will be amazed at how you ever built models without one.
 _GOTOTOP