_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Need Help with First Aircraft Model!
jerry009
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
hey all, i am thinking of building my first aircraft model, i have been a strict armor guy for 5 years or so....

i was wondering whats the best 1/48th scale A-10 model is...and what problems lies within them.

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

-jerry
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
maybe tamiya if they make one.....or academy.....or hasegawa..
TwistedFate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
Actually, the best is the Revellogram A-10.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
:-) Hi jerry,
I think Monogram probably make the best 1/48 A-10, for detail and accuracy. Tamiya also do one which might be easier to build. I have both, but have only started the Monogram version. I re-scribed all the panel lines, which burnt me out when it came to adding the Verlinden detail set. What I have built and what I remember went together OK. The Tamiya just looks simpler and easier. I think I might be right in saying that you have picked a fairly tough subject for your first aircraft model. If you must have an A-10, and I fully understand why, then I would say choose the cheapest and post progress and ask for help here (should you need it of course :-) )
Mal
Phantom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:58 AM UTC
Jerry, Best 1/48 A-10 is in fact the Monogram A-10 from 1989. Tamiya does make one, but it's based on a prototype Aircraft and so some of the dimensions are a little off. Hobbycraft has one out there that's pretty easy to find, but it's a horrible, horrible, not just kinda bad, but really BAD kit. I think there's also an AMT-ERTL offering who's main highlight is the included USAF ground equipment that comes in certain boxings, but is otherwise innacurate as well.

The Monogram kit isn't too bad right out of the box, although it does have some seam issues and raised panel lines (but looking at reference photos, if you could ever make a case for raised panel lines being prototypical, the A-10 is that plane.) There are several build up reviews of it at Aircraft Resource Center. I've just started building mine as well, based on one of the aircraft of the 303rd TFS based alongside the B-2's at Whiteman AFB, MO.
 _GOTOTOP