Hosted by Rowan Baylis
SBD3 Dauntless - Air Group 4
horsegunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2010 - 01:39 PM UTC
I am looking for colour pics/drawings/artwork for Dauntless's used by AG4 in the Atlantic during WW2. As well, any other of the same for other Atlantic squadrons of the USN who fought in the Atlantic.
There are tons of info for the Pacific war squadrons, but very litle for the Atlantic squadrons.
Thanks,

Art
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
AARRGGHH. Can't remember where I left it.. I did find a little bit about Atlantic SBD's while working on a kit a few years ago. Most vivid memory is about a black & white photo of a -3 on patrol. Instead of the std Tri-color, it was ond in dark grey over light grey (white?). Sorry I can't be more help. IIRC it was operating out of the Caribean area. Don't know if that's AG4 or not.
EMBLEMHUNTER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
Try web sites for the "specific" SBD unit/s you're looking for,they have reunion pages etc for most WW2 units , good luck !
Also try US Naval Aviation News site.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:04 AM UTC
I would like to know the answer to this too. Last year I built a Pacific Dauntless and I bought another with hopes of building an Atlantic counterpart to go with it.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 07:17 AM UTC
My original source was either SBD in Action or SBD in Detail and Scale. I have a Testors / Hawk SBD (-5) with decals for an Atlantic squadron. Basic color scheme is gray over white. Hopefully I can find the books in the next couple of days and post scans.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 04:06 PM UTC
OK, found my stuff. In Action has a color profile of an SBD-5 from "the Atlantic". Detail and Scale as a color photo of a squadron of SBD-5's in "the Caribbean". SBD Units in WWII has a B&W photo of VMS-3 flying SBD-5's over St. Thomas in the US VI and a color profile of a VMS-3 SDB-5 "S-1" from US Virgin islands. No clear answers on if the planes that aren't USMC are Air Group 4. VMS-3 was the ONLY marine unit flying SBD's in the Atlantic and I can't guarantee that all the planes I'm seeing aren't from that squadron.

Colors are consistent, Dark Gull Grey on upper surfaces and white on lower surfaces and sides. Dark Gull Grey connects from top to wing along the cockpit. Think traditional 3 color camo whit while being used for both the while and light blues sections.
 _GOTOTOP