_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Hs-123A-1 (Update 3)
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 04:20 PM UTC
Well, nearing completion now. Decals are on and most components attached. Just need to attach the bombs, cowl, prop and windscreen. Still need to do some work around the strut attachment points on the lower wing.

stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
Brain, is there anything to look out for with the un-spated landing gear???gee I wish I can build like you!!! Awesome work. STUG
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2003 - 11:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Brain, is there anything to look out for with the un-spated landing gear???gee I wish I can build like you!!! Awesome work. STUG

Yes there is actually. I made the modification to the lower wing per the instructions which is before the two parts of the lower wing are glued together. All was fine. When I went to put the gear on last night, I noticed that the edge of the upper-half of the lower wing closed up the hole just slightly that was created in the modification. Required inserting a small cutting bit attached to my dremel inside the hole and just slightly wearing away a bit of plastic. Nothing major but could be avoided if I had thought to check the fit of the unspatted gear with a complete dry fit of both halves of the lower wing in place.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 07:36 AM UTC
:-) Very nice Brian, took me a millennium to get to that stage. Did you have a fit problem with the upper wing? On mine there was about a 1.5-2mm gap at the N struts. Easy enough to overcome, but I noticed that you fitted the main struts to the upper wing first. Where as I fitted mine to the lower wing. Wondered if you method might be the best?
Mal
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Very nice Brian, took me a millennium to get to that stage. Did you have a fit problem with the upper wing? On mine there was about a 1.5-2mm gap at the N struts. Easy enough to overcome, but I noticed that you fitted the main struts to the upper wing first. Where as I fitted mine to the lower wing. Wondered if you method might be the best?
Mal

Yes, I had the same problem. To remedy, I sanded off the bottom of the struts to reduce the gap to a managable size to allow for glueing. To ensure the struts fit properly into place, I placed brass pins into them that were inserted into the slot of the lower wing. This worked nicely and I filled the gap around the lower strut attachment points with superglue and smoothed it over with white glue. Certainly a sticky point with this kit. If I did it again, I would probably lengthen the mounts for the N-struts on the underside of the upper wing which would reduce the gap. Unfortunatley, until you get things half-way put together you don't know about this deficiency unless you here it from somebody else. This point of the build, along with the seam of the cowl, will be significant points when I write my review and build article.
 _GOTOTOP