_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
At what point do you stop "fixing" a kit?
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:00 AM UTC
How far in do you get into a kit that is just SO wrong that you just give up and use what they gave you vs. fixing all of the issues?
Im at this point on my Bf-110 build. I've fixed the cockpit, rudders and avoided the gun bay so far.
The motors are SO wrong I've all but given up on them. Or do I go with my plan to leave one exposed and just do what I can with the lump provided?
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:16 AM UTC
If you are speaking about the original Revell 1/32 bf-110 G4 nightfighter, Just build it oob for kicks and giggles. The surgery list is about 3 pages long towards correctness and most of the surgerys major. It looks nice when done oob and is still recognizable as a 110G4.
Cheers!
Rick

edit: Just saw your 'on bench' line. I'm pretty sure the same cuts apply to the C kit.
-R
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:26 AM UTC
if your getting hacked off with it just leave it for a month or so and come back to it.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
im afraid if I walk away, I wont come back..lol
I'm not correct major outline flaws, just the rudders, but the lack of detail is startling!
I found more research material on the motors today and feel a "bit" better about them...but not much
dioman13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
AeroScale: 54 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
Shawn, I've got the night fighter kit and it's been sitting gathering dust only god knows how long. From what I've seen and heard referance wise and your build, it will be a real test of mind over matter. Will I mind going crazy or will it matter if it flys into a wall . Really, I guess it's just how much it matters to you personally. You and other modlers and plane buffs might know it's not correct but many other people wont. And it does build up to a decent representation of the plane. If on the other hand you insist on 1oo% accuracy, then go for it. I build dios/vin and like to be as accurate as I can but, I realize that absolute perfection will cost time and resources I may not be willing to spend. For myself, it's a question of am I happy with the results or not, and I go fom there. That's why mine will be a belly landing like the F.W.190 they found in Russia. That you are taking on this kit says you have some determination my friend. Go for your desire and good luck.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 01:10 PM UTC
I say have fun with the build , do what you can for kit changes ...It's the domino effect -start with one thing and it leads to another .

Try a method or tip you pick up from being on line ....practice adding detail which you never tried before ....etc,etc,etc ....

The only person who will get the most satisfaction is you . You are the only one you have to please ....

Builds that I have done in the past have issues with being accurate , but like Bob said your friends will never know or can spot the difference's anyway . And as for us well we just like pictures of models and the fact that some one is sharing

Remember , it's only a hobby -enjoy !
Automaton
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I say have fun with the build , do what you can for kit changes ...It's the domino effect -start with one thing and it leads to another .

Try a method or tip you pick up from being on line ....practice adding detail which you never tried before ....etc,etc,etc ....

The only person who will get the most satisfaction is you . You are the only one you have to please ....

Builds that I have done in the past have issues with being accurate , but like Bob said your friends will never know or can spot the difference's anyway . And as for us well we just like pictures of models and the fact that some one is sharing

Remember , it's only a hobby -enjoy !

Terri's right! (Now if I could only practice what I preach).

Regards;

Automaton
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
you all bring up very good points that I have totally overlooked..whats the old saying, you cant see the forest through the trees?
I have taken this kit as my challenge, I've done things so far I've never done before and although I know its not 100% correct, its better then OOB and I just need to accept that fact.
Terri nailed the point for me though, its a hobby and supposed to be fun.
Therefore IM going to look at and attack this from a different POV then I have been.
This forum has been a massive inspiration and learning tool for me, thanks gang!
 _GOTOTOP