_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
TFG's P-47 Egg Plane
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,770 posts
AeroScale: 201 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hey all!

I joined up for the "Aluminium Campaign" and decided, as this will be a BMF paint job, I'll start off "easy." I've not used Alclad before, so this will be the first for me. And, hey, I simply love the Egg Planes!!

The box art:

I seemed to have made a "beginner's mistake" when I glued the halves together: they slipped a tad.

Anyhow, live and learn....and putty-up!!

There are three builds on the bench right now, so as I'm able to set something off to dry, I'll pull the Egger back and keep working.

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 10:04 AM UTC
Sorry, no pictures of what I've done since this, but I've had "issues."

All the puttying was done, things sanded smooth too.

I painted the bird in Tamiya Acrylic Gloss Black. So far, so good. Many days later, I pulled out the Alclad Aluminum. It was shot yesterday...at about 10psi. The Alclad consistantly clogged my AB, it went on like crap, and the finish turned out like 180 grit sandpaper. So.....it's been soaking in Easy-Off. I'm not a fan of Alclad...least right now.

I do have a bottle of Testor's ModelMaster Aluminum. Once I've cleaned the Alclad crap off, I'll reprime and shoot in MM...

Mike
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 05:27 PM UTC
Eggcellent start, Mike. I'm a big fan of the egg-planes, too. I've got five of them built, and a couple more in the stash. My wife thinks they're "adorable". Me, I just think they're addicting...and fun!

Sorry you had problems with the Alclad. I haven't tried it yet, still using ModelMaster enamels myself. I hope it works out for you, so you'll post more pics.

Cheers,
Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
Slow going, what with removing Alclad. That stuff dries HARD!

Anyhow, real quick: Reprimed -

Mike
TacFireGuru
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
Sorry to say, this one went into "File 13." Airbrush went there too! Pretty much covered with Aluminum paint right now....nope, NOT happy...pretty PO'd. And for those that haven't "tasted" enamel paint? Yuck. Grrrrrrrr.

I don't know what it's been about this kit, but it has fought me from the "get-go." I can handle the "aligning the halves," doing the necessary putty-job (though that's really been a pain), priming. I'm thinking it started with the Alclad (which is crap IMO [yes, I could have had a bad batch - or an old batch]). So...I won't be finishing this build.

Time to move to the next...."Twin Boom."

[CACK]!!!

Mike
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
bummer, sorry to hear about the build fighting back.

Some kits just dont want to be built.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 11:12 PM UTC
Mike, sorry to hear about the demise of the egg. It would have made a great addition to the Aluminium Campaign Gallery. I trust your Twin Boomer will fare much better mate.

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP