_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/32 Bf109E TRUMPRTER VS EDUARD
iamsu7
Vendor
TRUMPETER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Anhui, China / 简体
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 03:43 PM UTC
Trumpeter:

Eduard:
Tarok
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
AeroScale: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:00 PM UTC
I speak for nobody but myself when I say this, but I find it really annoying when manufacturers come along and do the whole "mine is better/bigger/longer than yours bit". By all means show your fuselage against the scale drawing, but is it really necessary to show that of another manufacturer? Coming from a manufacturer this is hardly objective.
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:34 PM UTC
anyone wanna vouch for the accuracy of the drawing?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I speak for nobody but myself when I say this, but I find it really annoying when manufacturers come along and do the whole "mine is better/bigger/longer than yours bit". By all means show your fuselage against the scale drawing, but is it really necessary to show that of another manufacturer? Coming from a manufacturer this is hardly objective.

Very well put Rudi !
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I concur as well surely it should be the rivet counters out there that compare the difference/flaws not the manufacturer?
NebLWeffah
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
AeroScale: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 01:47 PM UTC
It can be, shall we say, 'overdone'?, when the rivet counters do this and then the usual arguments ensue over what can amount to a few scale inches or a missing rivet or two. That can be bad enough but when manufacturers do this, it just becomes laughable.

Please don't post stuff like this anymore. Your kits will make it or not make it all on their own. Don't try and 'help' modellers make up their minds.

Sheesh.....

Bob
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - 01:56 PM UTC
My problem here is, if you are going to compare them side by side like this, at least place them in the same spots. You can tell by the front of the fuselage that the Trumpeter was placed further forward than the Eduard which translates all throught the drawing. If you're going to compare apples at least do it fairly.
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:03 AM UTC

From this thread it appears that the Eduard kit is too long by something like a ridiculous 6 mm:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/thread/1263909085/1-32+Bf-109E+comparison.

It is completely legitimate for a manufacturer to point this out if it allows the customer to make a better informed choice...

They didn't lay the Eduard kit quite right, but the issue is negligible...

The Eduard 1/32 Me-109E is very poor in many respect: Bulged spine behind cockpit and many other issues...

The Trumpeteer fuselage appears too angular in the lower rear fuselage cross-section just behind the main wings, but that is comparatively very easy to fix compared to the multiple problems of the Eduard kit...

Trumpeteer vs Eduard: Trumpeteer apparently mostly wins! As simple as that... And now Trumpeteer is getting criticized for going to the trouble of showing it off?

Weird...

Gaston
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC

overall I tend to agree with you Gaston, although having said that, fuselage length is only going to be one aspect of what the built-up model will look like. I don't think this sort of 'comparison' would influence my decision to purchase or not one way or the other really...I will still go ahead and build both.
CMOT70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 539 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 12:29 PM UTC
Funny how the original post makes no mention of the way underscale engine on the Trumpeter kit, seeing as he's so interested in dimensional accuracy. It has other problems too, but i'm not interested.

Drawings are worthless. Even manufacturers put out incorrect drawings, i know this because i've had to deal with them for so long. Photos are no good either because you can never truly confirm the exact profile (no Gaston you really can't), even a degree off a perfect side on photo makes a difference. And taking measurements off real surviving airframes isn't perfect either, because most have been repaired or restored...and despite what restorers tell you their art is not perfect (despite what they may tell you Gaston, they're just trying to make you go away). Aircraft are not perfect. You can try to take parts off one airframe to get another one flying, only to find that they don't even fit, sometimes not even close.

Aircraft are crudely made rubbish (i really do hate them), only made to perform a function for a certain time. You're trying to make perfect scale replicas of machines that in real life are less perfect than the car you drive. I know that hurts people that truly love anything with wings (incidentally we jokingly call them "aerosexuals" in the industry), but it's true.

I just love building models.

"Just built it"

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Funny how the original post makes no mention of the way underscale engine on the Trumpeter kit, seeing as he's so interested in dimensional accuracy. It has other problems too, but i'm not interested.

Drawings are worthless. Even manufacturers put out incorrect drawings, i know this because i've had to deal with them for so long. Photos are no good either because you can never truly confirm the exact profile (no Gaston you really can't), even a degree off a perfect side on photo makes a difference. And taking measurements off real surviving airframes isn't perfect either, because most have been repaired or restored...and despite what restorers tell you their art is not perfect (despite what they may tell you Gaston, they're just trying to make you go away). Aircraft are not perfect. You can try to take parts off one airframe to get another one flying, only to find that they don't even fit, sometimes not even close.

Aircraft are crudely made rubbish (i really do hate them), only made to perform a function for a certain time. You're trying to make perfect scale replicas of machines that in real life are less perfect than the car you drive. I know that hurts people that truly love anything with wings (incidentally we jokingly call them "aerosexuals" in the industry), but it's true.

I just love building models.

"Just built it"

The voice of reason!
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:13 AM UTC

The Me-109F I measured was never restored, just repainted, as are many museum aircrafts.

I had five different A6Ms measured, some that were in pieces, and they all came within a quater-inch of each other in tail lenght...(All one inch shorter than the new Tamiya kit, which also has a slightly too slanted fin)

My error in interpreting the Zero tail as shorter, in one convincing profile photo, had nothing to do with the WWII lens or the angle of view: The photo's "rear half" was curved from a book's binding on a flat scanner surface, and the much more curved binding-side edge was "cropped" off to conceal that... Nothing to do with lens distortion, and completely undetectable. FYI, the unaltered "uncurved and uncropped" photo matches the Tamiya kit perfectly except for the fin's slant...

Tolerances in WWII aircrafts were in most areas tighter than you apparently understand, as are neutral-angle centered photos from typical WWII lenses...

Gaston
 _GOTOTOP