_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Want to build an Albatros
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 118 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 - 10:23 PM UTC
Hi

I am after some information on a particular aircraft, I hope someone on this brilliant site can please help on a couple of points. I will be ordering the WNW Albatros when it finally gets released.

A. I want to know, the main differences between the DV and the DVa. I have the WS Datafile on the “Albatros D.I - D,Va”, but really cant see much of a difference between the last two marks.

B. The markings and colourings for Helmuth Dilthey’s mount from his time in Jasta 40, in the WS Datafile on the Albatros, there is a image of his mount that shows wide white and coloured bands around the fuselage, but no colours are stated. I cant really glean any more information from this image, so any info would of help.

Dave
nosewrit
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 01:09 AM UTC
My refs are packed away due to a recent move, but I seem to recall a difference in routing of the aileron cables. And the small brace for the interplane struts, V or Va specific, or were they added to either?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 02:00 AM UTC
The D.V had it's control wires running from the cockpit to the top wing . The shrouds on the control surface . ( small triangle things ) D.Va had the lines running through the lower wing -small as the D.III . The small braces on the inter/strurts were added to the D.Va , but not all aircraft had these for it didn't solve the issue of the wing failer .

The aircraft is white and green , but no decals are in 32 scale . Only 72 and 48 .

Hope this helps you out and makes sense .
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thank you very very much, I will obviously investigate a little more, as I have time before they release the kit.

From looking at www.maxpinucci.com, its hard to tell if the upper and lower wing surfaces are in 4 or 5 colour....... will this be easier to get this info from the Osprey book...

Thanks again

Dave
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 03:05 PM UTC
If your talking visual differences Terri gave you the basics. The control columns had different attachments based on the method of pulley arrangement as well.

Pete Grosz said that the two aircraft (Albatros D.V & D.Va) were really two very different machines based on the weight to power ratios. The D.V entered service when the the 170hp motor was still in use. It was supposed to be a lighter version of the D.III layout but due to safety compromises it was heavier. When a more powerful engine was introduced (180hp) it added still more weight and only a minor increase to the power. The auxilary strut attached near the lower wing edge and rising to the forward Vee strut leg was a quick fix in the field. Additional bracing wires and additional webing in the wing structure were also elements of strengthening. From tests performed on captured examples the British were amazed that the German pilots could get what they did performance wise.
FigureMad
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 22, 2010 - 11:35 PM UTC
Thanks Terri and Stephen

I am very grateful, for the information. It seems I may be getting into something that is a little too complex for what I wanted to do. Am I right that most of the changes were to internal structural areas of the wings and the engine capacity and the main visible changes being the control wires and horns? The fuselages were they not of the same construction, I have some information on the extra strut brace on the lower wing.....

Thanks again

Dave
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi Dave ! As you are I'm still learning on the different types and the difference between them and other aircraft . So much to remember it does or at least for me it gets a little confusing at times .

There are no difference on the fuselage . Other then the head rest was drop on the D.Va's and in some case's the head rest was removed on the D.V in the field .

I'm finally remebering the basic's Stephen Yes I know it's about time
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 23, 2010 - 05:33 AM UTC
From what I have seen, you can build either version from the WNW kit. It looks like the kit contained the headrest and the cover art does not have it. The differences in the engine, I believe, are due to higher compression. I don't remember any visual differences. As stated, the exterior differences are mainly in the Aileron control wire routing. The fuselage is visually identical between the two. Early built D.Vs had the headrests. Many were removed by the crews that mostly hated them. The lower wings had a nasty habit of falling off, so auxillary braces were added to the V strut to strengthen the lower wing, It did help, but not much. von Hippel lost a lower wing on his D.V on 2/18/1918, but since it was a D.V with the control wires running through the upper wing, he was able to maintain control, and crash land it. If it had been a D.Va, he would have lost control wires and cratered it.
 _GOTOTOP