_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Academy 1:72 Scale
leogunner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 147 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hello all,
For a little change from armour, I'm thinking of trying my hand at some WW 2 aircraft. Has anyone built any of th Academy 1:72 scale planes? Specifically the FW190 or Curtis Warhawk. I have both available to me and would like some opinions on these kits.
Thanks.
tazz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:26 AM UTC
1/72 scale is really nice i built like 5 1/72 planes,
they are small and the parts are small. but they are nice. so if u can get them for free build one, but i build 1/48scale planes and i also build tanks
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
I built (but haven't painted) the Academy Fw190-A6/8 and I encountered some fit problems around the wings and inside the cockpit. I don't know if the the new "Heinz Bar" 190 is an entirely new mold or a rereleased kit. Academy's 190-Dora is one of the best in this scale though. Academy has two kits of the Dora - one of them in Papagei Staffel markings.

Give those Academy planes a try
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:15 PM UTC
I've build a couple of their 1/72 a/c, the Typhoon and Airacobra. Both went together without problems. Some of the Academy range can have accuracy issues, but they are cheaper than Hasegawa or Tamiya equivalents and can still look pretty good.
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 11:18 PM UTC
Welcome to being an AC modeler! Haven't build up WWII AC's but I guess both these crafts have the same properties:

-smooth surface
- not too much weathering (like tanks)
- must always have the landing gears on (unless you will put a stand to make it as if it's flying)
- must be real careful especially on antennas
rysorne
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,
For a little change from armour, I'm thinking of trying my hand at some WW 2 aircraft. Has anyone built any of th Academy 1:72 scale planes? Specifically the FW190 or Curtis Warhawk. I have both available to me and would like some opinions on these kits.
Thanks.

I've built a lots of 1/72 WWII Academy, most of the fittings and details are good and also recessed panel lines. Aside its price is cheap & the quality is good. You will enjoy the quality of this kits.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC
I have made about 10-15 kits so far, and all of them are from Academy. (Hint, Hint ) I've also made the FW 190 A6 (Grun Herz) from Academy, and it went together like a dream.

I find Academy to be the best bet as far as pricing and kit quality go. Fit issues are very minimal, and I can knock up the kit in a very short time. Decals are also pretty good, and go on without any problems. I still have about 65 kits to go, and out of those, 40 are from Academy again.

I have heard that Academy kits suffer from accuracy issues, but then, I model for myself, and don't have the habit of measuring the kit dimensions and scaling down from the original to find out whether the kit is off by a foot in scale or so. As long as it looks reasonably like the original one, it goes!

So I'd say go ahead and make one. You have nothing to lose, but experience to gain ! Do post pics of your kit in progress, so that we can all take a look.

BTW, if you still wat to take a look at some reviews, here are a couple from the Smark website(only Warhawk, I'm afraid):
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/usaaf/p-40m-n.htm
http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Reviews/usaaf/p-40e_acad.htm

Cheers,
BP.
Torque
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
My experience with academy has been that they are mediocre models but for me that is ok, since the price and selection is good.
Noodles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Cork, Ireland
KitMaker: 75 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
I'm with bytepilot.i model for myself and the acadamy range always go together easily and generally look the part.I just finished the warhawk.It went together with absolutely no probs.It's sitting on my mantlepiece right now.
 _GOTOTOP