_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Artists?
miteco20
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 71 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 01:20 AM UTC
Someone asked me a question yesterday at work that kinda stumped me but I suppose it's true. She asked if I considered myself an artist. I had never thought about it and quite frankly I was terrible in art class. I always thought of it as a quiet peaceful end of my day and a fun hobby. What do you guys and gals think?
AiwaSoundSystem
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 52 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC
I think everyone's an artist with their own medium. So, Yes, I would say we are artists and our medium is anything a model has been built of. We bring the past, present and the future to life for the world to see.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 03:15 AM UTC
Jason hit the nail on the head. Michaelangelo had his medium. Davinci his. Ours just happens to be something other than marble, or oil paints. Polystyrene plastic or resin or ????
I have often had people make comments about my models being nothing more than toys. I ask them if they could build one to look like one of mine or one of my buddies for that matter. When they see what they have to start with, they quickly change their mind about them being mere toys. It's takes a certain amount of skill and knowledge to work the plastic or resin, apply paint, weather effectively, and add all the little details that might be missing from a base kit. Yes, I consider it an art form. I create an artistic scale representation of the historical past through scale modeling. Just don't let them see you making vroom vroom boom! sounds with the tanks when you're building them! "Q"
 _GOTOTOP