_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 P-38 academy.....alcad virgin
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
I am starting a p-38j dropsnoot build, found a review on internetmodeler.com, they point out the need for aftermarket decals, why? instructions are vague on paint colors, just mentions silver for exterior color along with other colors.So I am going with alcad to be purchased at scalehobbist.com, they carry many types of aluminium, what type is most accurate?I am going to reference alcad info on forums...LAMPIE ect.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 09:21 PM UTC
I would hazard a guess that you have the Academy offing of the droopsnoot (I have this kit in the stash somewhere) If so Academy decals or notorious for not adhering to the surface.

As for the Alclad I prefer to use the Aluminium over a grey primer base. I then pick out additional panels in dark aluminium and duraluminium (thinks that how it's spelt) buy the time ifinish with washes and a coat of Klear (Future) Some prefer to use a gloss black base coat and then spray the polished aluminium but I find that to be a bit too "Shiney" for my liking. Here's a feature to one of my Thunderbolt's done using my method.

Link to Feature
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
I will purchase aftermarket decals.I need to do research om BMF aircraft to mimic weathered aluminium, I assume one uses different shades of alum to mimic weathering and heat exposure.I used to be in 6th fleet battle group back in the early 80s, F14s were an awesome sight launched from carriers,your fave I see
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 06:37 AM UTC
Besides the nice shiny parts you may wish to give this area some thought.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 08:43 AM UTC
sure will, wheres this plane located at?
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

F14s were an awesome sight launched from carriers,your fave I see

Your right there and I an now officially jealous, I would've loved to see one launch off a cat
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 09:47 AM UTC
Dave,

That particular P-38 is home based in Hailey, ID. I photographed it when it was visiting Chino, CA. It does make the rounds to various air shows and fly ins, it's owned by Jack Croul.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:16 PM UTC
what a reference for a walk around! I am a few hours from there.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 - 12:24 PM UTC
I did not think too much of it back then, I sure do now.they would launch off the carriers maybe 50 yards away from my ship as we were in the midst of UNREP for days at a time,was out to sea for 8 months.During the hostage crisis in 79? those guys were quite busy.I am so old my ship was scrapped a few years ago Ifinally found the Alcad company website, they have some definitive info on there,thanks for the tips.
 _GOTOTOP