_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Corsair questions?
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2010 - 04:24 PM UTC
I just got the Tamiya 1:48th F4U-1D Corsair kit and it is nice... I just have a few questions...

What are some good aftermarket decal sheets for Marine aircraft of WWII?

What should I paint the inside of the engine cowlling and cowling flaps?

Under what circumstances were the cowl flaps opened or closed?

Tamiya says use paint color AS-8. What are some MM Acyl or Taiya acrylic colors that I should use for the blue?

Is the cokpit interior color basically green zinc chromate?

Are the interior of the landing gear doors green zinc chromate or the blue?

In their last painting picture depicting a plane from VMF-913, wing 107 the US star insignia doesn't have the blue circle background behind the star and bars like the other but I've seen artists depictions where it does have the blue circle... Which one is correct?

Sorry, I know that's a lot but I'm on a budget and trying to avoid reference books...

Thanks, Hellbent
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Any ideas are welcome. Even if you only think you know any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Hellbent
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:47 PM UTC
Hi there, a few thoughts for you. I won't be able to answer every question but I will try with the ones I think I know.

Cowl flaps have to do with cooling the engine and would be open at takeoff or possibly landing as well.

The colors for your Corsair, would be dark sea blue, intermediate blue and white on the undersides.

I think the cockpit would be easy enough to find, I would say interior green just off the top of my head.

The landing gear doors would be interior green or green zinc chromate I believe as well.

Decals generally are pretty good with Tamiya kits so that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I will see about getting some more responses for you as well. Hope this helps a bit. Russell

P.S. Late in the war the Corsairs just had the star I believe without the round blue field in back of it, again it depends on what time in the war you want to model your bird.
chris1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
AeroScale: 493 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 04:51 PM UTC
Hi Hellbent(or can I call you hell)

Why go for a USMC corsair.I'd go for one flown by the RNZAF(Biased I'm a NZer)
just an idea.

Chris
hellbent11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
Russell, Thanks for the help! I think that you are right on. That's pretty much what I thought but I've heard a lot of conflicting stuff. Thanks for the clarification about the star as that was sonething that was giving me fits as I searched for pics.

Chris, I just got to as a former U.S. Marine! Plus I've long admired "Pappy" Boyington first from the show "Black Sheep Squadron" and then from books. I figured since this is only my second aircraft kit in a great long while I ought to stick with a theme and the Marine Corps just seemed natural!

Thanks Guys, Hellbent
 _GOTOTOP