_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
mr color thinner?
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 02:40 PM UTC
I have purchased Mr.Color acrylic paint in order to achive realistic color for lavochkin LA-7 by Eduard and am not sure which thinner to use for airbrushing.I am aware of the difference between mr hobby color and mr hobby, I suppose I am to use mr color thinner at $13.50 a bottle to be purchased online or? generic laquer thinner from home depot or is it safer to use another plastic model specific laquer thinner form my local hobby shop? what the hell is mr color leveling thinner for? somewhat annoying to have to buy so many different brands and the overpriced thinners, but I guess generic thinners can ruin models?
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
I used successfully Tamiya's acrylic thinner with Mr. Colour/Gunze paints and their dedicated thinner as well. I also read somewhere that Tamiya's thinner is better because allows a smoother finish... though it smells as well as Mr. Colour acryic thinner! I don't think there is so much difference.
Personally Gunze paints are my favourite because are a bit more resistant than Tamiya's and the most of them are satin and not flat.
UNITEDSTATESNAVY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC
I called gunze USA and accesssed their website hobywave.com and I now now mr color is a solvent based acrylic paint to be thinned with mr color thinner. Mr. hobby color is a aqueous based acryl paint to be thinned with mr hobby thinner,mr color leveling thinner is an option to airbrush mr color acrylic paint
 _GOTOTOP