_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
flat coat on top of future
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 09:59 PM UTC
I have gotten into the habit of airbrushing my airplanes,

then airbrush on a good layer of future,

then apply the decals

then give it a second layer of future

this works very well but the planes are rather "shiny"

I would like to hear your advice on which flat base to use in future (and how much) to come to a satin or flat surface

or, which flat varnish can be used without problems on top of the future

stonar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 337 posts
AeroScale: 309 posts
Posted: Monday, February 01, 2010 - 10:20 PM UTC
I use Vallejo Modelair satin varnish on all my models over a coat of Klear (Future). I often mix the Vallejo satin 50:50 with Klear as I don't want to knock all the sheen off. I don't like the finish to be too matt as I find this unrealistic for most WWII aircraft. I aim for something like this (which is a bit exaggerated as it has a bright light pointed at it!).
Steve
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 04:35 AM UTC
i also use vallejo on top of future, but i use the vallejo spray cans and i've not had any problems.

paul
Tigerbait
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 347 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
I use MM Acryl Flat thinned with a few drops of 91% alcohol generally. This gives a really nice flat finish to "kill" that Future shine and it seals the decals down pretty well as well. A few of my modelling compadres use the enamel/laquer flat to great effect as well. I've never added anything to Future before.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i use the vallejo spray cans and i've not had any problems.

That's saying from pretty recent experiences? Good to hear they've got some decent clear flat sprays now!
I bought one can of flat varnish several years ago and it was rubbish. Didn't make much of a flat finish, smelled peculiarly like pine resin, and despite the label claiming the contrary, took ages to dry.

For mixing with Future, I've been using Tamiya's Blat Base. 1 part Flat Base to 10 parts Future makes quite a nice finish with a slight sheen.

I wouldn't recommend Flat Base + Future for totally flat finishes though. The higher the amount of Flat Base, the more likely it is to lighten (sometimes that can be a good thing though!) the finish you're spraying it over, or even leave whitish marks with heavier coats when using mixes around and heavier than (give or take) 1 part Flat Base to 5 parts Future.
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC
I do a similar method to you, I Klear (Future) the paint work, Decal, Klear again, wash then final varnish.

For the final varnish I've been using Testors Dull Coat from a rattle can just recently but I'm yet to try the bottled stuff thinned with their thinner if i want a matt finish. If I want a satin finish I use Eetu's method and just another coat of Klear if I want a gloss finish.

Hope this helps
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 12:20 PM UTC
I've used about 7 different brands of flat clear over Future with no bad effects. Now that my LHS carries the full line of Tamiya paints though, I've been using the same method as Eutu, Tamiya flat base + Future exept I prefer the mix ration closer to 50/50.

Hermon
ludwig113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,381 posts
AeroScale: 1,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

i use the vallejo spray cans and i've not had any problems.

That's saying from pretty recent experiences? Good to hear they've got some decent clear flat sprays now!
I bought one can of flat varnish several years ago and it was rubbish. Didn't make much of a flat finish, smelled peculiarly like pine resin, and despite the label claiming the contrary, took ages to dry.

hi,my cans are new and they work fine,sometimes i just mist a coat on and sometimes i put a heavy wet coat.

paul
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 - 03:40 AM UTC
Humbrol clear flat and Testor's Dullcoate work just fine for me.
trahe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
AeroScale: 73 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 02:50 AM UTC
What is best to clean my airbrush after shooting Future? Alcohol or Windex or something else?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is best to clean my airbrush after shooting Future? Alcohol or Windex or something else?

I use water unless it has set a minute or two. Then I suggest Windex or something with ammonia. Ammonia dissolves Future instantly. Of course, I would not spray ammonia unless you have some way you capture the mist or protect yourself (and pilot lights and everything else an aerosol of anything could adversely impact) from it. I just let it drip through the airbrush--it works its way through Future pretty quick.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 01:42 AM UTC
I have always used Testors dull coat for the final finish and never had any troubles with it . I either the spray can or the smaller bottles thinned with lacquer thinner for airbrushing . Just don't use it on top of Alclad or clear parts .

I have never tried mixing a flat base in with future , but there is a we site which a gentlemen explains and shows how to do this . Just can recall the web site at the moment ......
 _GOTOTOP