_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Help - Wellington 1C interior colour
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 584 posts
AeroScale: 96 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC

I am doing the Trumpeter 1/48 Wellington 1C for the BBB campaign and have struck a little hitch - the interior colour. I understand that the cockpit area was black and the bomb bay aluminium but the rest of the interior is what I am after.

After 5 hours on the internut I am none the wiser. I have found 2 interior photos from a restored aircraft in a museum somewhere - they are not the best quality but seem to be a greenish colour. Tom Cleaver (from Modelling Madness) believes that the interior is a brick red being the colour of the dope used for the fabric. I have searched aeroscale and the only hit I have is Rowan's in box review in 2006.

Anyone got any better information? I am inclined to lean towards Mr Cleaver's view as it is logical and restorations are notorius for inaccuracy with colours.

All help will be gratefully received.

Brian
Phantom2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 678 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hi!

I will go with a reddish-brown dope color and silver (aluminium) framework on mine, when I build it.
Can´t say how correct this is, but from what i have seen or read, it´s NOT green!
TC can be a bit harsh sometimes, but I do trust his assumptions on colors and I do like (and trust) his kit-reviews!
He´s usually spot-on, and he tells us the ugly truth!

Cockpit color is as you say, black.

I can recommend the excellent 4+ -Book, a very good reference on the Whimpey!

Cheers!

Stefan E
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 09:50 AM UTC
MPM's mk.II kit and it's instruction sheet has list of colours for the interior components.

I have a feeling they [i]might[/url] have used the 4+ book for references, since they recommend it for further reading.
bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 06:40 PM UTC

Stefan and Eetu

Thanks for your quick responses. Red is the way I will go. That 4+ book looks interesting I might try and chase up a copy.

Anyway after missing a night of gluing/painting doing "research" I will head off to paint now.

Brian
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 09:30 PM UTC
Remember that the dope was applied to the outside of the fabric, not the interior; this means that the interior was a streaky pink/cream colour, where the thinned first coat(s) soaked through, not brick red.
Edgar
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 10:08 PM UTC
Brian,

The cockpit area is black, model Master make the Interior Black and the remainder is the Redish primmer colour. I attached 2 pix of the 72 scale Mk I I built for a friend.

Hope thay help a little.

bilko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Edgar & Rob

Thanks for your replies. I realize that a brick type red may not be totally accurate - and a streaky lighter red/pink may be a truer colour BUT I will call it artistic licence. The reality is that when I looked around the only red I had other than scarlet was Tamiya's spray can of dull red and that is what I used. I think in some respects it may make it a bit easier to see the interior detail - well fingers crossed on that one.

Rob - ball park mine now looks like an enlarged version of your pics. I have also used the Aircraft Interior Black. I should have a couple of photos up in the BBB campaign page in a couple of days if you are interested.

Brian
mlp666
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 09:52 PM UTC
I know it's a bit late, but I remember an interview with an early pilot who was very impressed with the green Connolly hide seats.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 01:56 AM UTC

Too late now but the way to do it would be to paint it a cream colour and then dry-brush with a brick red colour. The metal structure was not painted. You might try using a flexible straight edge and a silver pencil to draw that on afterwards. Never tried it so cannot say wether it will work. During WWII seats in British aircraft were covered with a ubiquitous green material. Humbrol 88 Deck Green is a good match.

There are some veterans that are adamant the interior was green, presumably Grey Green. Perhaps some later Wellingtons were. Most the equipment was installed before covering with fabric. So, if the interior was painted the job must have been horrendous in that confined space. Also it would add a lot of extra weight.
 _GOTOTOP