_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Argus books WWI aviation plan Views
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC

"These publications cover those subjects which primarily feature scale drawings, usually compiled from magazine back-issues:

'Aircraft Archive' Argus Books Ltd, 1988-1989 Series titles: Aircraft of World War One: Volumes 1-3. The small, independent MAP was bought out by Argus Press in the mid-70's and the book publishing interests were hived off to become a company in its own right - Argus Books Ltd. The late 70's and 80's were good years for Argus; the list based first at Golden Square in London's Soho and subsequently in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire continued to expand. . .
When Argus Press decided that newspapers rather than magazines were where its future lay, the company was sold to the Nexus Media group and for a brief period from 1995 to 2001, the books were published in Swanley, Kent under the Nexus Special Interests imprint. Nexus in turn made the decision that book publishing lay outside its core interests and in 2002 sold all of its book publishing interests to newly formed Special Interest Model Books Ltd.

Special Interest Model Books' sole interest is in book publishing with staff who have a long connection with the model hobby areas of publishing. The company was founded in Poole, Dorset by Chris Lloyd, who had been acting as the sales and marketing agent for Nexus Books since 1993." (From SIMB website)

The plans come from various authors over a long period of time and are semi-reliable if you are not too concerned about exacting detail. If you run across these for sale on the WWW they are chocked full of plan and scrap views that are said to be in 1:72. I have found that they are cropped down to fit the book format. Bring your scale ruler if you want to use these.

Normally I would do a more detailed review but they seem to be OOP and not everyone will have a chance at getting them.
 _GOTOTOP