_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard 1:48 E.V / D.VIII
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 10:09 AM UTC
Good evening Aeroscale, here is my Fok. E.V wip, I am enjoying the build apart from after dropping it, I ran over the cowl with my wheely chair while looking for it . Paints are vallejo and tamiya acrylis. Usually I would try oils for wood, but i don't fancy too much experimentation today. Just a nice simple build
*here we go...*

Let the pictures do all the talking
Also, i have tried all my iso settings and the pictures, IMO suck a little. just the quality, not the focus or anything

* pics were taken before the cowl incident

thanks for watching
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Looks like a fantastic start there James. I'm going to to be watching this with interest as I'm about to start my one soon!

Shame about the cowl, i've nearly had the same accident several times

Philip
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hey Philip, hows it going, thanks for looking in, im going to send Eduard an email, and if that fails the engine will be nekkid, and i dont mind that if Enjy benjy goes well.
also, i have seen your other thread, and its quite coincedental, my first ww1 kit, in 48'th was the camel profipack, which im building for the chequer board campaign, okay so my first is still under construction, i decided agains rigging, and i feel it looks very bare at the moment, but i ahve another one due to a Purchasing error with hannants so im going to rig that one up,

the cockpits in both these kits are great!
good luck with your E.V, have you decided weither you are going to go solid green or streaked yet? I have been streaking the camo thisevening ( and morning)
all the best,
James
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hello James:
Nice job on the cockpit, I too will keep my eye on this build since it had been reccomended. Keep posting, cant wait to see the finished a/c.

Robert
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 - 11:50 PM UTC
Hey Robert, wasnt it out of stock in your local? good luck with sourcing a new one.

okay here is my streaked camo.

mahine gun(X1)

and the deck above engine

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 12:24 AM UTC
Looking good so far James ! Your moving right along with this project at a good pace .

What shade of green did you use ? It seems a little on the dark side ....... Nice hand painting by the way
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hey Terri, i used tamiya olvie green, but glossing it up and a dark wash darkened it a fair bit,
i did aribush the later of CDL, but it was all pebbly, e.t.c i think my air can is a bit poor.
thanks for your comment!
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 02:23 AM UTC
James,
Outstanding E.V/D.VIII my friend.Your interior details look great.I 'm impressed with the your wing streaking as well.You just got to love those Fokker E.V's.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 11:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

have you decided weither you are going to go solid green or streaked yet? I have been streaking the camo thisevening ( and morning)

I hadn't decided yet but I think you have decided for me now now! Looks great so far, keep it up!

Philip
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 - 01:23 PM UTC
thanks guys, i made a lot of progress tonight,struggling on with the lozenge, but its half 1 in the morning and im working at 9, time for midnight snack, and wath summit in bed on my ipod.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 01:11 AM UTC
okay guys i would have update pics up by now if brother didnt take his camera away, its a shame because in my camera the card is corrupt.
anyway the lozenge is on, and unweathered atm, wings are on wheels are on, main markings e.t.c
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 01:36 AM UTC
Sounds like you are making good progress on this build .

Did you tell your brother that you really needed to use it so you could get the pic's posted and not keep a Lady waiting !
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 02:35 AM UTC
Terri, after some down time involving my camera, memory card and a hammer i seem to have got it working again, hooray.

updates, i feel i rushed some of this , i always maake that mistake, and is a pain, something goes well so i get over excited and dont do the rest as neatly as i should.

CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
I think you did a nice job on it. You said you rushed some of it and did not do a good job on some areas. So what do you think of your build, and what could you improve? The only thing I would suggest is to spend a little more time on the fuselage seam in the future. It really shows up with the lozenge decals. Also, beware the handholds, they have a tendency to disappear. The first pic in your last post shows one starting to loosen up. Your upper wing streaking looks really cool. Nice build so far.

I think you should hang around with the early aviation builders more often.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hey Carl, thanks for your feedback the handholds both are off now, so i will re affix later on,
the samline looked ok on plastic and felt smooth but did really show up after some miscrosol,
things i always need improvement on are Decals and unfortunately for aircraft, basic construction, luckily i ahve a few kits to build to scratch up on before my next biplane and that ones gonna be eduard 8056 (again, this time with rigging) camel profipack,

but before then, im oint to be tackling Special hobby Fa223, i15 and HE 178, and the eduard f4 profipack. also my weathing so far on this one is probably a little heavy on the taste buds but i like it so far, looks like its been scrambles out of a logged field, also i just had to tone down the gaudy lozenge

and dont worry Carl, once my skill picks up i will be hopefully doing all sorts of these ww1 Aircraft,

ps do you think eduard will send me a new cowl if i ask nicely?
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 05:09 AM UTC
I can't speak for Eduard, but they are great when it comes to customer service. You might want to try an Albatros or a D.VII before that Camel. Less rigging. Their Roland kit is another great one.

How do you do your seams?

I use a liquid glue, on both surfaces of the fuselage. When I put them together, I get a fine bead of melted plastic that squeezes out at the join line. I let that dry for at least a day, while being held together by some sort of pressure clamps. The bead is what fills the seam, and if everything is lined up right, a quick scrape and lite sanding will eliminate the seam. I spray with a little primer, and find out if the seam is gone. If everything was not lined up, there will be a small step at the join. The primer will show you exactly what you have. If there is a step, I curse a little and then break out the heavy duty sand paper and possibly the putty. hth. Remember, squeezing the fuselage together to add wings (espescially the tight fitting lower wings on a D.VII) will break the seam and it will show.

I use to play a little guitar also. Mostly badly. I should start again.
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 05:22 AM UTC
same way minus the clamps, its jsut the alignment that got me this time, one bit was about.2 or a mil up, sanded and filled e.t.c and it looked good in the plastic, i try theooze ebthid but usuallt i dont put enough glue down, plus i think im gonna have to use Pegs and elastic bands, usually i hold the fuselage until partially dry, make adjustments and leave.

guitar has been on the thin side since my band split 2-3 years ago, regardless of what i try noboys interested in forming one, and that leads to " whats the point in playing " motivation issues e.t.c but i used to be quite good i think ( for me)
Philippus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 11:32 AM UTC
Looks good James. Can't wait to see more!

Keep up the good work.

Philip
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 08:57 AM UTC
The clamps are very important. Without them, the bead receeds and does not fill the gap very well. Clamps are better than rubber bands. Glue can make the bands stick to the plastic.

Playing the guitar is how I met my wife, some 27 years ago. So if you are wondering "what is the point?", give that a little thought.

Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
Looks Good James. Looks like you got the lozenge on in good order, the streaking and everything else looks good. Yes, hang around here more.

Check out my web site.

Cheers
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
Very interesting build James, but I see a lot of red X instead of pictures. Is it my fault or is it ok?
Edo
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
hey guys!
Edoardo, i dont have a problem seeing the pictures.

unfortunately this kit had a meeting with some dvd cases. (damn my restricted workspace,)
so its currently on hold whist i do one of a few other builds and build up the confidence to send it to the repair shop
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:36 AM UTC
Sorry to hear that guitarman. It has happened to many of us. Dusting accidents, glass shelves falling, pets, running into walls or doorways while flying them through the house (yeah, you know what I'm talking about), and dropping them while a build is in progress. One thing we all have to deal with one time or another. But don't let it get you down. You have enough talent to build it, so I am confident you can fix it.

But, like any accident, we cant help looking. So show us some pics and we will help you through it.
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:52 AM UTC
I know the anguish and empathize. I had a cat single pawedly destroy a 1/350th Titanic! Jumped up on the Mantel and knocked it off. Good luck on the repairs or the next kit.

Cheers
Mark
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:44 PM UTC
Hi James!
pics are ok now, a little 'heavy' I must say...
wonderful job, though!
I like very much the effect you did on the upper surface of the wings! Outstandig!
How did you do that? drybrushig with oils?

ciao
Edo
 _GOTOTOP