_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Rattlecan PC10?
BurlBurlingame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 52 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
I'd love it if there was a good-quality rattlecan spray for a basic PC-10 color. Something comparable to Tamiya's spray cans, a buffered lacquer that goes on nice and tight. An impossible dream, perhaps.
I used a strip of white styrene and sprayed strips of commercially available rattlecan colors that lean toward olive and brown:

I then compared them under sunlight and an OTT light to a Federal Standard chip book and noted which FS code they were closest to.
DO NOT go by the scan above for an accurate color, even though I also scanned a postage stamp in case you want to calibrate your monitor. On my monitor, these look too brown. Go by the FS number call-out.
Olive drabs are notoriously shifty colors, which is why they make such good camouflage.
The first four colors are Tamiya sprays, the fifth is Model Master's generic, the last three are Flames of War's WarPaint series mostly aimed at gamers, but it is a fine spray paint.
And here are the results:

A — Tamiya TS-5 "Olive Drab" (lacquer) — FS#33070
B — Tamiya TS-28 "Olive Drab 2" (lacquer) — FS#34098
C — Tamiya TS-70 "JGSDF Olive Drab" (lacquer) — FS#34079
D — Tamiya AS-14 "Olive Green" (lacquer) — FS#34159
E — Model Master 1911 "Olive Drab" (enamel) — FS#30118
F — WarPaint SP03 "US Armour" (lacquer) — FS#34088
G — WarPaint SP02 "Soviet Armour" (lacquer) — FS#34097 or 34102
H — WarPaint SP01 "British Armour" (lacquer) — FS#34201

The winner for me is the last, which is, ironically, named "British Armour." It resembles (to me) a slightly faded PC-10, good for scale effect.
Of course, if Tamiya would get off the stick and produce a real PC-10 rattlecan color, this would all be moot. And I'd want a nice CDL shade as well....
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 04:42 PM UTC
Just bringing this up for consideration. Lots of Allied kits being built here and this is a look at the issue.
 _GOTOTOP