_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Home made stencils
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hallo dear friends!
The more I model, the more I am dissatisfied with kit's decals.
I think that there are just too many variables that can cause a poor results: heavy carrier film, off centered pattern, wrong colours, colour linkages and other printing errors, just to name a fiew. And not considering the problems related to the case of a 'difficult' surface onto which to lay the decal (and you all know too well that frequantly a setting solution is not enough).
So I am considering to paint at least national insigna.
I know that are commercialy available stencils, but I think that part of the fun of this hobby of ours is to find new home made techniques...
Unfortunately I haven't find any brilliant idea, since I am considering to use Tamya masking tape but maybe, someone of you guys has find a smarter solution...
ehat do you think?

ciao
Edo
Tomcat31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,828 posts
AeroScale: 1,720 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
Tamiya tape is a good start but personally for nataional insignia and serials I'm just starting to use Miracle Masks that are produced by our very own Mal (Holdfast)
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 04:15 AM UTC
There seem to be several systems on the market to make your own decals.

It requires buying special decal paper, scan the original bad decals, or design your own using photoshop, and print a new set of decals.

the use dDecal paper depends on the type of printer you have. Inktjet requires other paper than color laser printers.

It is defintitively something that I want to test... one day. I think that it would be very useful for putting the typical black or blue ribbons on missiles, and to make the small warnings which are missing in many models.

_GOTOTOP