_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Flashback! My Wingnut LVG WIP photos.
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:57 PM UTC
Earlier today I posted photos of my completed LVG and have had a request to post any work-in-process photos I might have taken. Well, I did take quite a few as this was a very different project from what I'm used to and was quite an adventure! A pleasant one too, I might add. These Wingnut kits are just incredible, but I'm sure that is not news to many of you.

As I'm brand new to this forum, I don't know if I'm limited to the number of photos in a single post. Therefore, I'll split the pictures up into several posts.

First, here are shots of the interior parts and the cockpit before it got all closed up in the fuselage. I added the control cables and pulleys on the forward bulkhead but everything else you see came with the kit.

Cheers,
Eric

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
Next, here are shots of the fuselage at various stages.

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:10 PM UTC
Engine, prop, landing gear...

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:12 PM UTC
Things are starting to come together!

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:18 PM UTC
Now, on to the wings, tail, and lozenge decals!

Wing walk made from thin brass sheet cut to shape.

eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Finally, it all comes together...

Ta da! 9 months later...done!

Now, bring on the Albatros! The LVG needs a little brother.

Cheers,
Eric
Cob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:01 PM UTC
Hey Eric,
Nice to see these again. I'm still plugging away on mine. I painted the cowls, struts, etc. XF-22 as per the instructions tonight. Did you use something lighter?
Rob
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 03:04 PM UTC
Eric,
Excellent my friend.The in progress photos are much appreciated.After seeing so many LVG's here an else where I believe it's time to bite the bullet and go ahead an order one of my own.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Eric,
Nice to see these again. I'm still plugging away on mine. I painted the cowls, struts, etc. XF-22 as per the instructions tonight. Did you use something lighter?
Rob

Hi Rob,
Thanks! Do you have pictures posted of yours?

I used Lifecolor acrylics (another first) for the cowl and struts. I mixed their RLM02 gray (UA 071) with some light gray (UA 021) until I got a light greenish gray that I liked the look of.
Just my interpretation of the color based on a few things I read. Not matched to anything specific. I usually paint with enamels and lacquers but chose to use acrylics on those parts so it would not be affected by the oil paints and washes I used for the rest of the fuselage.

Cheers,
Eric

P.S. OH!! It just dawned on me who you are! Sorry Rob, I'm used to your AgapeModels name. You can ignore my question! I've seen your pictures there. Any new ones coming?
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 04:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
Excellent my friend.The in progress photos are much appreciated.After seeing so many LVG's here an else where I believe it's time to bite the bullet and go ahead an order one of my own.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Thanks again, Gregory. You will not regret getting any of the Wingnut kits. I think the LVG was the most popular of the first batch because it is so big and colorful, and it's an attractive plane overall.

Cheers,
Eric
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 06:41 PM UTC
Conratulations, it's very nice!

Cheers Nick
Cob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey Eric,
Rob

Hi Rob,
Thanks! Do you have pictures posted of yours?

I used Lifecolor acrylics (another first) for the cowl and struts. I mixed their RLM02 gray (UA 071) with some light gray (UA 021) until I got a light greenish gray that I liked the look of.
Just my interpretation of the color based on a few things I read. Not matched to anything specific. I usually paint with enamels and lacquers but chose to use acrylics on those parts so it would not be affected by the oil paints and washes I used for the rest of the fuselage.

Cheers,
Eric

P.S. OH!! It just dawned on me who you are! Sorry Rob, I'm used to your AgapeModels name. You can ignore my question! I've seen your pictures there. Any new ones coming?

Hi Eric,
I'll get some up in a day or two. I've got the fuselage painted and as I said I followed the paint guide and used XF-22. It's pretty dark. I may go back and lighten it up a bit.
v/r,
Rob
RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC
These builds just seem to get better and better! I love the wood grain and the model in general! Thanks for sharing the process.
RAGIII
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:41 AM UTC
Excellent work Eric. The interior work especially the seatbelt and radio is noteworthy. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I agree with your assessment on the reasons for it being popular with the modelers. My Girlfriend got it for me for Christmas solely on appearance as she thought it was a beautiful a/c.
mertonhale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hello,

I completely new to this site. I was looking for photos of an LVG C VI and google lead me here.

I'm very impressed with the detail of the model you have built. But I have a few questions.

The detail that you have shown, does that come from the kit? The reason I ask is that, for example, the observers "station" varies quite a bit from the actual (not a model, a real plane) LVG I was looking at yesterday. I wont go into all the differences I noticed, and I guess there could be variations from one plane versus the other. I just wondered here YOU got your detail from.

I was fascinated to learn the the pilot and observer both had electrically heat flight suits. Plug on inside of fuselage here they plugged in their suits.

Also, the engine from Benz as actually mounted slightly (about 1.5 degree angle) off the mid-line of the fuselage. Helps to compensate for the torque.

If your model comes from the Wingnutwings kit, does the kit attempt to show the small wires that run through most of the plane to shield the radio from static?

Also, if you have any info on the actual radio, I'd appreciate it. We are trying to fine one or recreate one if we have to.

Regards,

Merton Hale
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,

I completely new to this site. I was looking for photos of an LVG C VI and google lead me here.

I'm very impressed with the detail of the model you have built. But I have a few questions.

The detail that you have shown, does that come from the kit? The reason I ask is that, for example, the observers "station" varies quite a bit from the actual (not a model, a real plane) LVG I was looking at yesterday. I wont go into all the differences I noticed, and I guess there could be variations from one plane versus the other. I just wondered here YOU got your detail from.

I was fascinated to learn the the pilot and observer both had electrically heat flight suits. Plug on inside of fuselage here they plugged in their suits.

Also, the engine from Benz as actually mounted slightly (about 1.5 degree angle) off the mid-line of the fuselage. Helps to compensate for the torque.

If your model comes from the Wingnutwings kit, does the kit attempt to show the small wires that run through most of the plane to shield the radio from static?

Also, if you have any info on the actual radio, I'd appreciate it. We are trying to fine one or recreate one if we have to.

Regards,

Merton Hale

Hi Merton,

Welcome to Aeroscale and thank you for those kind words about my LVG!

The model is indeed the Wingnut kit and what you see is pretty much what comes in the kit. I added a few small details but nothing major. The kit comes with a few options for the oberserver's position, depending on which markings are used. These include the type of gun and choices between the flare rack or a grenade rack.

I'm fairly new to WWI modeling and while I did get a small book on the LVG, as well as study photos and diagrams I found on line, I placed most of my trust in Wingnut and that knew what they were doing with the kit and the detail options provided.

As for the radio, I could not find any further information on it so again, just went with what was shown in the instructions. Oh, and there was no indication of anti-static wires. I did add control cables and even they are barely visible once the fuselage is closed up.

I'm sure there was a lot of variation between actual aircraft back in the day. Also, you want to be very careful when using restored or replica aircraft as a reference source. That's a risky thing, even with later aircraft, as compromises or modifications, in the name of saftey, comfort, or just lack of information, are often made.

If you haven't already, check out the Aerodrome forum and do some searches there too. You should find a wealth of info on the LVG. That's where I found a lot of what I used.

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/

I hope that answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me via email or personal message, or in the thread here, if you have any more.

Cheers,
Eric
mertonhale
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Belgium
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 09:22 PM UTC
Eric,

Thanks for your response. I'll check out the forum you mentioned.

I am involved in restoring an actual LVG C. VI and we are taking great pains to make sure it is a true to the original as possible. Due to lack of information that can be difficult, but we try.

the one I am working on will never fly, only be on display in a museum, thus we do not have to worry about making modifications that might be necessary for it to fly.

The other LVG C. VI that i was referring to is again, and original, not a copy. They too are going to great pains to make sure it is as true to the original as possible. That is where I saw the "isolation" wiring for the first time. Very advanced to the era.

Plus I learned that the "spin the prop" method of starting one of the engines was NOT required on the German planes. They had what is essentially an auto-start method. Again, very advanced for the time. I was shown videos of the plane actually being started that way. If you are interested i'll send them to you.

Also available are many photos of the actual plane in various stages of reconstruction. Again, if you would like to look at these let me know.

I also noted that the reel that was used to lower the antenna is, in the model, mounted on the "bulkhead" where the radio is mounted. The one I say had it mounted on the side of the fuselage, with the cable being let out through a "thing"in the floor of the aircraft.

Again, thanks for you words.

Regards,

Merton.
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 - 11:57 PM UTC
Hi Merton!
I think that the idea only of an actual plane being restored makes a modeller salivate!
So, please, if you can, do post some pics here!
It will be very, very interesting!

I am a novice here and not a staff memer at all, but I think that as soon as Stephen reads your post he will ask you to write a feature on that!

Please don't let us down!

ciao
Edo
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 12:00 AM UTC
Eric!
Your pics are fantastic! You did a grat job, as all the other have already said!
I like the wood grain best, I think I'll save your pics for future reference!
Thank you for sharing!

ciao
Edo
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric!
Your pics are fantastic! You did a grat job, as all the other have already said!
I like the wood grain best, I think I'll save your pics for future reference!
Thank you for sharing!

ciao
Edo

Hi Edo,
Thank you so much for those kind words!
In case you haven't seen it, you might be interested in this little tutorial I wrote on how I did the wood grain:

Wood Grain

Cheers,
Eric
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 04:04 AM UTC
Merton,

Very interesting that you are working on the real thing! I would very much like to see the photos and the video of the LVG engine start, as I'm sure many here would.

Thanks!

Regards,
Eric
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 - 08:47 PM UTC
Hey Eric!
of course I saw it! and saved it and printed it too!
I just did not connect you with who wrote that article!!!

On a second thougt, maybe I was fooled by the pic of yourself here: it doesn't do yourself justice! you are not THAT hairy !

Ciao
Edo
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 01:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Eric!
of course I saw it! and saved it and printed it too!
I just did not connect you with who wrote that article!!!

On a second thougt, maybe I was fooled by the pic of yourself here: it doesn't do yourself justice! you are not THAT hairy !

Ciao
Edo

LOL!! Good thing I didn't have a mouthfull of coffee when I read that last sentence. I'd be wiping off my keyboard and monitor right now!

That hairy face belongs to my cat, Mirage, who is named after the French jet of course!

Cheers,
Eric
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 - 08:15 PM UTC
Ciao Eric!
My respect to Mr (?) Mirage!
 _GOTOTOP