_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
Albatros D.V
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC

One of Wingnut Wings. com (WNW) most anticipated kits to date has been the release of their 1:32 Albatros D.V & D.Va kits. We begin with their kit #32009 to be released in mid March 2010. This new molding is a sound move. As the Albatros D. types were the backbone of the German Air Service (Luftstreitkrafte) there are literally hundreds of colour schemes that can be employed. WNW has wisely assessed that this kit will have longevity. The Aeroascale Review on this kit is up and live.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 07:22 AM UTC

Also don't forget James Fahey's interview with Richard Alexander!

Click here.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Nice one Stephen!

I think this is the perfect opportunity to say a HUGE thank you to James Fahey, who spotted my plight with regard to UK customs - one of these fantastic kits is UK-bound as a bona-fide birthday gift! I can hardly wait!

All the best

Rowan
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 11:11 AM UTC
Lucky Dog.

I was hoping to be able to purchase one by my 50th birthday. That was last December.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lucky Dog.

I was hoping to be able to purchase one by my 50th birthday. That was last December.

Hi Carl

Well, this'll be my 51st, so you'll still get there before me in a way.

All the best

Rowan
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, this'll be my 51st...

Man, you guys are old enough to have flown these first hand! (Age-wise, check 6--I'm closing fast! )
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Well, this'll be my 51st...

Man, you guys are old enough to have flown these first hand! (Age-wise, check 6--I'm closing fast! )

You better check yours pardner my HUD just locked on to you. I just turned 61, so I have to build at mach speed to build all the kits I want. Life is good. No....wait: It's OUTSTANDING! Cheers:
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think this is the perfect opportunity to say a HUGE thank you to James Fahey, who spotted my plight with regard to UK customs
Rowan

Using your position of power Rowan...*wink*

It's not just the extra payment we have here its the extra wait while Parcelforce get their finger out and let you know its here in the uk awaiting collection *And ransom* that bites.....

So us other UK mortals will have to spend almost a month after release sharpening our knives, and practicing our woodgrain techniques before we see plastic. such is life

Keith
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Using your position of power Rowan...*wink*

Hi Keith

Would I do that!? No, seriously, I can honestly say James contacted me out of the blue. I was stunned by his generosity - a Wingnuts kit for just the cost of postage was an offer no-one in their right mind could refuse!

I will have to join you in playing "Russian roulette" with the Customs and Parcelforce charges when I order a Pup. It'll be interesting to see if we get stung for the same amount (I bet we don't...).

All the best

Rowan
Moeggo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 169 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:41 PM UTC
I don't know if any of you in the UK has seen this over on the Aerodrome regarding the Parcel Force "Handing Fee" -

Quoted Text

I know I've said/written all this before here and elsewhere but if you get clobbered for VAT (which really one shouln't complain about - we'd pay it if we bought the kits in the UK, anyway), you do not have to pay the handling fee to get access to your parcel. I have done this three times now. It is illegal under the 2000 post and telecoms act to withhold the mail for payment of any sums other than those due to HM Revenue and Customs.

As there is no duty payable on these kits, just VAT, it is all very simple. The local staff in depots aren't allowed to let the parcels go by their management until the "handling charge" is paid. One simply escalates the issue immediately to the Parcelforce Chairman's office in Milton Keynes (the local depot will have the number), explain that you are willing to pay the VAT immediately to obtain your parcel but that you wish to be invoiced separately for the handling charge. Mention the act (quote the relevant para if you can - I've forgotten what it is but the info is easily findable on google) and that you believe that it is unlawful for them to withold the mail for payment of their fee. You can pay the VAT over the phone with a card and they deliver the parcel to you the next day!

Do all the above in a reasonable and polite manner, with sunshine in your voice and I promise you it will work. Oh, and I have never received an invoice for the charge. They know that it is impossible to enforce as you have no contract with them and so they don't bother. I was rather hoping that they would send me a bill....but that's just me....

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 - 09:55 PM UTC
Cheers David

That's interesting! Definitely worth a try.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 05:57 AM UTC
Hi again

Well, my D.V arrived today!

It's my first chance to see a Wingnut's kit "in the flesh", so to speak... Wow! It's fantastic!

Huge thanks once again to James!

All the best

Rowan
Jamo_kiwi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 122 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi again

Well, my D.V arrived today!

It's my first chance to see a Wingnut's kit "in the flesh", so to speak... Wow! It's fantastic!

Huge thanks once again to James!

All the best

Rowan

Looking at the condition the box arrived in makes me think Wingnut Wings probably pack their orders rather better than I did Rowan. I was trying to minimise postage costs for you, even then it was about $23 NZ which is how many GBP? About 9 pounds? Maybe WNW can get cheaper postage from NZ Post than over the counter. Hope everything is OK inside.
Cheers
James
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 07:09 AM UTC
Hi James

Don't worry - the contents are all in perfect condition.

All the best

Rowan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC
puts me stripey sweater and lone ranger mask, grabs me swag bag and sets out for Rowan's house.......waits in his shed till the house is in darkness and ...............

wrong house....damn this TomTom

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 09:06 PM UTC
Keith, you should have waited. You can buy them as of now.

And here is a correction from their website.

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

It look's like Keith's gone for the D.Va instead. With a pair of them to keep him busy, my D.V might be safe... But I'd better not take any chances - I'll get to work on it once my '190 is finished.

All the best

Rowan
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
I tell you it was Bl**dy cold in that shed....
Yes I went for a pair of DVa's but I have hints spread for a pup and DV....see how it goes. Interesting thing I noted though on the DVa instructions, the parts are there to make an earlier DIII Engine too.
Now time to play the waiting game

K
 _GOTOTOP