1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 05:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...if you only mist on the coats very lightly there is never enough fluid paint to bleed under the masking tape.

Which is what I should have done but I was to lazy and didn't want to spent 45 minutes cleaning out my air brush for such a little bit of painting.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 06:07 AM UTC
Oh? That's BRUSH painted????

I understand about the 45 min cleaning time, most of my AB sessions are dominated by brush cleaning. But I'm way too scared of streaks in metal paints to even try it that way.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 06:17 AM UTC
I hear ya, but this is the Testors Brass, unlike most Testors paint its a complete joy to work with. I would use Testors all the time if the other colors were as so smooth in their application.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC
45 minutes!! Wow.. Takes me about one minute at most normally. I suppose you use enamels normally? I use acrylics and water and Windex Window Cleaning fluid to clean out the brush. Don't even need to pull the brush apart using my method.
Bigrip74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,026 posts
AeroScale: 2,811 posts
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 03:16 PM UTC
Dirk, nice job with that old dog I am impressed. I built the kit back in 1967 If my memory serves me correctly, but was not in the same ball park as yours. What was the green putty in the wing root for?

Bob
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 17, 2010 - 03:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dirk, nice job with that old dog I am impressed. I built the kit back in 1967 If my memory serves me correctly, but was not in the same ball park as yours. What was the green putty in the wing root for?

Bob

Thanks Bob for the kind words. What photo is the green putty in that you are talking about?
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 05:31 AM UTC
I think I see what photo you're talking about. That is in the cockpit build photo. That was done to fill the depression in the interior cockpit wall and make it smooth.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words guys. Tonight I have some minor progress to share.

First off i got the landing gear installed along with the gun pod and propellers

Tonight I turned to the canopy. Along with my Mk 1 Blenheim I also ordered masks for this kit (MkIV)

Till next time, thanks for looking
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 - 03:57 AM UTC
Well here is a tiny bit of progress. This was my first go with masks and I must say I am pleased. The canopy and side windows have been attached and the decals applied all but the fuselage codes. I will have to custom make those. I had tried to apply some dull cote but for some reason it made the entire aircraft look chalky. Last night I reapplied some future and all is right with the woirld again.

Here are the canopy photos fpr now. There is light at the end of this tunnel. Woo Hoo!

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
Out of mothballs come my Airfix Blenheim MkIV. I've been holding off on this one waiting to learn how to make my own decals.

This was my first attempt at home made decals. The color looked fine on the computer but something got lost in the transfer. Another thing I can't figure out is how to make the decals darker. They are very transparent. Oh well they aren't perfect but I am learning.

After taking the final photos I found something else I missed. The areal antenna. Having already disposed of the empty parts trees and the box I had to make a new one from scratch.

Thanks for looking
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 09:19 AM UTC
This one still needs a matt finish to be applied and then some weathering but I'm tired of doing it for each and every build so I'll wait untill I have a few I can do at once. So for now here is my 1/72 Airfix Bristol Blenheim.

A Bristol Blenheim Mk IVF Fighter of No 404 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force assigned to the Coastal Command during 1941/42 for anit-shipping operations over the North Sea

Thanks for Looking
 _GOTOTOP