_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
WWI artwork - Ivan Roberts' SPAD XIII
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
I hope you guys will put up with me posting images of what i do. Not exactly a model, but model have become an important part of my workflow, and this will show you why.

This piece is entitled "Close Quarters" and depicts the final moments of Lt Ivan Roberts, 27S1 USAS. Its going to be cover art for the 100th issue of the WW1 publication "Over the Front". Its a non-commissioned piece depicting an event that occurred on Sept 26, 1918 at approximately 5:50pm and involved SPADs from the 95th and 27th Aero Squadrons, Fokker DVII's of Jasta 13, and a Salmson 2A2. The fight resulted in the death of Lt. Ivan Roberts of 27Sq, seen here in the foreground. Roberts is credited to Lt Franz Büchner of Jasta 13. As Büchner was making his kill at nearly point blank range, Lt. Gravatt of 95 Sq (at the top of the 3-plane grouping) almost collided with him.

I use a method called geometric projection to create the perspective drawings for the main aircraft. This method allows me to create an accurate view of any aircraft from a specified distance. The background aircraft were drawn from models shot from long range.

[linked image]

The perspective drawing for Roberts' SPAD:

[linked image]

And the lighting reference. This is where the plastic work comes in handy. I used the Special Hobby 1/32 scale SPAD. This was one of my first forays back into the realm of plastic modeling after a 20-year absence, so don't laugh at my modeling skill please : ). The wires are too think and slightly loose, but the model served its purpose.

I only finish out my models insofar that I can take them outside and do this with them. In fact, sometimes I don't even bother finishing out the cockpit interiors. Put together, painted and rigged, however, a model can provide a great reference as to how direct and reflected sunlight would fall across a specific aircraft at different angles.

[linked image]

Here is the individual pencil study for Roberts' SPAD. This was drawn using the perspective drawing as my linear guide and the model as my lighting guide.

[linked image]

The overall composition. The background is a combination of a shot I took while flying into Houston last year and the Google Earth coordinates of the crash site provided to me by the researcher.

[linked image]

And the drawing that has been transferred to the canvas. I gave the canvas an overall stain of Raw Sienna so that the painting will have some nice, warm undertones. Normally my work flow includes and overall pencil study and small color study. However, this image is due mid-March, so I've skipped over the color study and overall pencil study on this one and gone straight to canvas.

[linked image]

Lastly, I spent the past few days blocking in the underpainting on this one. As is always the case at this point in a painting, the colors and values are not final. The ground colors in particular are fairly provisional. Overall, though, I'm satisfied with the direction that its going. I'll let this layer dry for a week or so before coming back and painting in the final layer. In the final finish layer I'll make adjustments to colors, darken some of the values, clean up lines and add in details. The painting measures 22" x 17".

[linked image]

Now here we are at the finished painting.
"Close Quarters"
oil on linen
17" x 22"

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 01:37 AM UTC
WOW ! Very excellent Russell indeed !

I don't know much about computers so I'm lost when you talk about this . However, I do like the lighting effect of using natural light for the shadows . This will be a great aid in weathering aircraft models as well for a more realistic appearence .

Very nice art work , I see it on the Drome all the time and you are very talented .
Your Model is also well as well !

Thank-you for sharing this with us folks here
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 03:07 AM UTC
Russell as always you put on a great show. You are always welcome here. I love the Ltn. Franz Büchner Jasta 13 Fokker D.VII(OAW). Nicely done!

RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 04:45 AM UTC
Thanks so much Terri & Stephen.

Terri, I've been watching your Pfalz project on the "Drome. Very nice!

Stephen, your modeling talents always amaze! Nice job on the Büchner DVII.
gajouette
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 356 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC
Russell,
Fantastic Artwork my friend.Love the composition,and the Hobbycraft SPAD isn't too shabby either.Thanks for posting and keep us updated.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Russell,

Wow, excellent stuff! May I use your photos and text and publish this as a feature for Aeroscale?

Jean-Luc
RussellSmith
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell,

Wow, excellent stuff! May I use your photos and text and publish this as a feature for Aeroscale?

Jean-Luc

Certainly Jean-Luc. you have my permission.

Russ
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I hope you guys will put up with me posting images of what i do.

We welcome all. I hope you continue to post here. The way you walked us through the entire process of what you do is very interesting. You make is seem so easy. I know it is not easy, but you make it look so easy. I admire talent like yours. That having been said...

Could we help you by photographing some of our builds from angles of your choosing?
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
What a great picture Russell: I just finished reading "Terror of the Autumn Skies" by Pardoe, so this is fresh in my brain housing group. Great rendering of the aircraft.

Mark
Dwaynewilly
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 365 posts
AeroScale: 344 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Russell,

Your artwork is awesome and speaking for myself, I would love to see more of this. Recreating history using the available tools is what an artist must do and your work on the SPAD is more than adequate. Please share more of this with us as you breath life back into this historic period that we all care so much about!

Regards, Dwayne
 _GOTOTOP