_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Book recommendation WWI Air War history?
jcneel
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
Would anyone have some recommendations for some good books that cover the history of the air war during WWI? I'm looking for an overall history including recon, bomber,fighter and ground attack developement by both the Allies and the
Central Powers. Lots of photos,diagrams and maps.

Is there any single volume histories of such?

Thanks.

Chris Neel
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, March 05, 2010 - 05:33 PM UTC
Historically speaking yes. But these are out of print and can only be purchased through auction houses. Back in the 1960's there were plenty of hack writers trying to regurge old or bad information into books in an attempt to capitalize on the cinema hits of the day. You have to pick your writers to get the good of anything under the subject of WWI aviation. The same can be said for WWII.

Time-Life use to sell a huge series that included WWI back in the late sixties early seventies. It was called "The Epic of Flight" if memory serves. The WWI volume was titled "Knights of the Air". Now you will find these subjects in monographs that cover specific subjects.
robasbury
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 11:53 AM UTC
Chris,

I really liked this book: The First Air War: 1914-1918 by Lee Kennett (you can find it on amazon.com). It touches on all aspects of WWI aviation...

Rob
 _GOTOTOP